Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, some much appreciated advice would be helpful. I’d like see ideas on restoring the bay, and what to change, what to keep etc. I personally don’t like the snorkel so the cover is going for a nice shiny new one, but open to ideas on the rest? Relatively new to all of this so all advice would be great. Cheers All.
1968 289 2V - C Code

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well heres where I am at on a quick refresh of the engine bay. The more you dig, the deeper the hole, peel back a layer on the onion, whatever you want to call it, its always a bigger task than you think it will be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
If you're leaving the engine in, it's a LOT of work the take off all the things bolted to it except the valve covers and maybe the carb, clean everything, mask off and rattle can it or use a gravity fed gun with the right color blue, spray all the bolt-on stuff with the right black etc, let it all dry, re-assemble then mask it off... THEN disassemble everything from the bay, clean and spray all that black and re-assemble. Clips, screws, wires, labels, etc etc etc you'll want to replace along the way...

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
You need to know what you want for the finished product. I did my 68 with the engine in the car. I even pulled the motor mounts and had the crank sitting on a 2x4. I pulled the oil pan and painted it by itself.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Looks good! Last time I did that to mine was 1993. I did swap to chrome vc because they're easier to keep nice and chrome air cleaner for the extra flow.
20191003_211459.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
There's nothing better than a clean engine bay. It can be a fair amount of work, but it's very rewarding. I've done both engine in and out refurbs, and it's certainly do-able either way. Thing is, it's really not that much more work to pull it. The potential pitfall is it can be daunting when you have the engine/driveline out, if you aren't super motivated, it can lead to prolonged jack stand position. That's not good.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Share some more specs on your 68!

With not too much effort, I’ve come this far, which I’m pretty happy with so far. A work in progress:

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
Here a couple more.

Attachments

Reactions: 68Ghost and Rowdy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, you really did an excellent job - looks great!

·
Registered
664 Posts
There's nothing better than a clean engine bay. It can be a fair amount of work, but it's very rewarding. I've done both engine in and out refurbs, and it's certainly do-able either way. Thing is, it's really not that much more work to pull it. The potential pitfall is it can be daunting when you have the engine/driveline out, if you aren't super motivated, it can lead to prolonged jack stand position. That's not good.
Is sitting on the jackstands a while really that big an issue if the engine is out?

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
What black paint is that?
Krylon 1613 - the old stuff....not sure you can get it any more. I bought a bunch when we found out they stopped making it.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow. What an inspiring thread and photos. Here is my before shot. I wish I had an after shot but it will probably be a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts