Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, simple question but need some help.

Documented correct firing order for 289 should be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 rotating counter clockwise. (1 is at top distributor cap clip)
My' '65 stock 289 is 1-6-3-7-8-2-5-4 rotating counter clockwise (1 is at top distributor cap clip). My 289,starts,idles and drives fine with this firing order.

When I change my firing order to the correct documented firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8) the engine will not start and back fires thru the carburetor.

What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
I think you are "reading" the plug wires incorrectly. There are only 2 firing orders for the SBF- 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 (early 289/302) and 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (5.0 and 351W). The firing order is determined by the camshaft. If you put a 5.0 or 351W cam in a 289 you have to change the plug wires in the cap to match the firing order.
Just to confirm- cylinders 1-4 are on the passenger side of the engine front to rear and 5-8 are on the driver side front to rear.

·
Registered
466 Posts

This is how plug wires should be,
if 289 firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
COUNTER CLOCKWISE

The backfire...I would place 1 at TDC and verify timing pointer is at zero degrees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 741656
This is how plug wires should be,
if 289 firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
COUNTER CLOCKWISE

The backfire...I would place 1 at TDC and verify timing pointer is at zero degrees.
Thank you for your reply and the diagram.

In your diagram where would the distributor cap clips be between 1 and 5 (top) and between 6 and 3 (bottom).

To check TDC and #1.

Do you mean turn engine by hand until timing pointer is pointing to timing mark on pulley damper. And distributor should be pointed and #1.

Thanks again. Les

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
975 Posts
Here is a good link:

Don't go by the clips, just follow your number one wire to the distributor and go from there. Most caps have a 1 on it but there are some folks that just shift the wires to the next one instead of pulling distributor off and resetting.

·
Registered
466 Posts
As my289 said, actually follow wire from each spark plug.

I have seen #1 around 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock position
And #1 not at the #1 on the cap too.

BTW make sure it’s on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder when you do this and check pointer at zero.
I forgot to mention that earlier.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice link my289...bookmarked?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Thank you for your reply and the diagram.

In your diagram where would the distributor cap clips be between 1 and 5 (top) and between 6 and 3 (bottom).

To check TDC and #1.

Do you mean turn engine by hand until timing pointer is pointing to timing mark on pulley damper. And distributor should be pointed and #1.

Thanks again. Les
To answer your question ...
and state it differently, but, with the same outcome....
Assuming you have # 1 as the first cylinder on the passenger's side front, follow this plug wire to your distributor cap. Your firing order ( 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8) starts CCW from here. With the rotor pointing at the #1 plug position on your distributor, your crank balancer's TDC "0" should be opposite your timing pointer. on the timing cover. Assuming your cover is correct for your year and engine. If not, hand rotate ( by whatever means) your engine to this position. Many here will use a 3/4 drive socket and ratchet and rotate until TDC mark and the pointer are opposite. The rotor should be pointing at #1 Cap position. Next, use your timing light to tweak the timing (distributor Vac line to carb plugged) your initial setting with the engine idle to specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As my289 said, actually follow wire from each spark plug.

I have seen #1 around 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock position
And #1 not at the #1 on the cap too.

BTW make sure it’s on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder when you do this and check pointer at zero.
I forgot to mention that earlier.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The piece about number 1 being on the compression stroke is critical. Car won’t run very well with distributor 180 degrees out. This is a common mistake when people are trying to set the firing order and timing. Removing the number 1 plug and putting your finger over the hole as someone turns the crank shaft is a good way to confirm you’re on the compression stroke.

Once that’s confirmed you should be able to align timing pointer with TDC and set your plug wire order beginning with the terminal the rotor is pointing at as number 1 and work your way around the cap CCW in the correct firing order. Put the number 1 plug back in and set timing as you see normally would.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
Proper position of the distributor is when the engine is at TDC, the rotor should be pointed toward the LH hood hinge. If the distributor was inserted "off", clocked wrong, I'd advise fixing it. Easy job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts