Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the short block completed and balanced, now my questions start. I really intend on using the car for street/travel and would like to improve gas mileage and overall performance ( a little increase in HP would 'feel' good also).

My original heads I will keep ( they are not in good shape), I lean toward possibly Edelbrock Performer aluminum. The following is also considered along with what you knowledgeable enthusiasts suggest.

1. Melling fuel pump with hardened shaft
2. Edelbrock intake manifold
3. Edelbrock water pump
4. Proform alum. roller rocker arms - I still question-will they fit under valve covers ?
5. 289 hipo headers - ?
6. Pertronics Distributor - ?
7. Edelbrock cam - Performer Plus
8. Edelbrock 500 cfm carb 4 bbl
9. Dual exhaust

Again I intend on paying attention on what is suggested from the forum. Thank you, Bill Palmer

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
If you keep your original heads, you need to do this to take full advantage of your other upgrades:

289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

Use the 500 cfm if you are sticking with the stock cam. Otherwise, use a 600. If you want use a Ford cam with markedly better performance, but manners smooth enough for your wife to drive the car, use the C9OZ-6250-C. I'd recommend using screw-in rocker studs and dual valve springs, but these low-cost upgrades are desirable in any engine.

A stock (recurved) distributor with Pertronix I will work just fine, and save a lotta cash.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22Gt, I didn't explain myself very well......... I intend on purchasing Aluminum heads also as part of the list ........ what do you think? Thanks, Bill Palmer

·
Registered
583 Posts
bro you dont need those eldenbrock stuff they are good but go with the more generic stuff like the fuel pump and water pump. i think in this case for mustangs it is eagle parts. that is what i am running and i have no problem. you should be able to save money and then spend it on a aluminum intake but the iron ones arnt bad (that is what i am running).

·
Registered
583 Posts
o and on headers i like the Tri Y's and they fit like a glove as long as you have a automatic (i had to modify because of manual 3 speede but fit like glove after modification).

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Get a quality water pump. A lot of the remans are junk. Definately a quality aftermarket intake, moderate cam, headers, dual exhaust.

Cam has to be a good combo with the heads. Sounds like you want a good torque motor which you don't want to rev. Stay mild with the heads and conservative with the cam.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Are you changing pistons as well? If so, perhaps SpeedPro hypereutectic pistons with moly rings would be a good choice. My choice was when I did my engine also included, a Crane Energizer Camshaft kit 130032, with .456 lift, 260 duration, Clevite bearings, Airtex water pump, larger 1.94" intake valves. I'm still running my 1.08 venturi Autolite 4100 carb on Eddy Performer 289.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Stay away from the Proform rockers....these have had many quality issues. Comp and some of the other mfg make good, affordable, steel roller tipped rockers...
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts