Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Vintage Mustang section too. I just got my 1967 "A" code 289 back from the engine builder and I'm trying to determine where the original aluminum tag should be located on the engine. When I bought the car, the engine was apart and the tag was in a baggie along with some nuts/bolts. It's a non-A/C, non-P/S car. Should the tag be under an intake bolt somewhere or water pump bolt? Anyone have pics?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't know if this will help, mine is a '68 289-2v and its on the pass enger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if this will help, mine is a '68 289-2v and its on the pass enger side.
Do you think that is the original location on yours? I can't tell by the pic, is the tag held down with an intake bolt? I wonder if 2bbl vs. 4 bbl makes a difference or assembly plant. My car was built in Metuchen, NJ.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you referring to the carburetor tag?

No, the engine tag. I've seen them on the intake, coil bracket, waterpump, etc.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Oxbow,

The original location of the engine tag for 1967 was on the intake manifold, left (driver's side) and forward of the carburetor. In 68, it moved to the oil dipstick tube support bracket.

BTW, the correct bolt to hold the engine tag to the intake manifold has no head markings.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oxbow,

The original location of the engine tag for 1967 was on the intake manifold, left (driver's side) and forward of the carburetor. In 68, it moved to the oil dipstick tube support bracket.

BTW, the correct bolt to hold the engine tag to the intake manifold has no head markings.
Ok, that makes sense - now I just hope I have the correct bolt.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok, that makes sense - now I just hope I have the correct bolt.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Does anyone know where that bolt is available? I'm currently using one that I used my dremel to grind off the markings... :)

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Just to be different, the original location of my 1968 Dearborn-built coupe's engine tag was, and still is, on the driver's side intake manifold.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know where that bolt is available? I'm currently using one that I used my dremel to grind off the markings... :)
X2...I don't have correct bolt either. Anyone know what it looks like and where to purchse?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
AMK has this bolt listed as their part number F-569. At one time they had a description showing it had no head markings. If you were going to order one from them, I would verify that it was correct before ordering.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AMK has this bolt listed as their part number F-569. At one time they had a description showing it had no head markings. If you were going to order one from them, I would verify that it was correct before ordering.
Very good, I will research it. Maybe one of our vendors has a pic on their sites.

Thanks for the info.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Just to be different, the original location of my 1968 Dearborn-built coupe's engine tag was, and still is, on the driver's side intake manifold.
Laurie, seems like you're being ignored!

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
LOL, that's okay, I'm used to it. ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Laurie, seems like you're being ignored!
Sorry, no one is being intentionally ignored. Someone posted earlier that '68 was when the tag moved to the dipstick.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Yes, and that's not entirely correct.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think you need to keep in mind that changes were often running changes that did not coordinate with the beginning of the model year. So, saying that the engine tag was located on the intake in 67 and that it was moved to the oil dipstick support in 68 doesn't mean every 68 model was impacted by that change.

I would be interested in knowing how it's not entirely correct that the engine tag was moved to the dipstick support in 68.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Saw the engine tag on a 1966 that was on the left side (driver's side) of the intake manifold. Mounted forward of the carburetor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts