Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
19,461 Posts
I think you need to keep in mind that changes were often running changes that did not coordinate with the beginning of the model year. So, saying that the engine tag was located on the intake in 67 and that it was moved to the oil dipstick support in 68 doesn't mean every 68 model was impacted by that change.

I would be interested in knowing how it's not entirely correct that the engine tag was moved to the dipstick support in 68.
Very simple, it's not entirely correct because not all the tags were moved to the dipstick support in the 68 model year. My 68 is a late build, and the tag is on the intake manifold, and has been there from Day One. And, I have found other examples similar to mine. Although many were moved to the dipstick, not all were.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Where on the intake is it located? The typical location is the dipstick tube, but there are anomalies. I know your coupe is an unaltered one owner and its always good to learn something new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in the process of doing a complete restoration on my wife's grandfathers 67 coupe. The car has the original engine, transmission and rear end. I have found the tag on the transmission. I HOPE the tag is still on the rear end. Don't believe any work has ever been done on the rear end, so it should be there. The engine has been rebuilt and I don't think the engine tag was kept. So my question is, the car still has all of the original equipment, but if I don't have the tags, how can number matching to the car be proven? Are there stamps on the block, and rear end if I can't find the tag, proving that the engine and drive terrain is factory original?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts