Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe 289V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at upgrading my 68 289 mustangs exhaust and was specifically looking at these 2 exhaust kits on cjponyparts
just wondering if anybody had experience with these kits and would reccomend them. I also wouldn't mind looking at any other setups you guys think i should look at and please post some videos of your exhaust if you have them too i would love to hear them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im looking at upgrading my 68 289 mustangs exhaust and was specifically looking at these 2 exhaust kits on cjponyparts
just wondering if anybody had experience with these kits and would reccomend them. I also wouldn't mind looking at any other setups you guys think i should look at and please post some videos of your exhaust if you have them too i would love to hear them.
Check if the Magnaflow 15815 kit will fit your set up. I had that on my 65 and was great but I did eventually swap out the mufflers for chambered mufflers to quieten it down some, but that's a personal preference.

EDIT its the 15816 for your generation

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,588 Posts
Be aware that many times when guys like a particular exhaust it’s because what they’re really hearing is the cam.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Mack, the 15815 2 & 1/2 system would do you well. Do you have headers or manifolds at this time ? The 2 & 1/4 systems seem small to me, is there a reason you're you're thinking small ? If you have manifolds and a very stockish engine, the 2 & 1/4 set is enough, but the larger setup will not hurt you. LSG

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe 289V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mack, the 15815 2 & 1/2 system would do you well. Do you have headers or manifolds at this time ? The 2 & 1/4 systems seem small to me, is there a reason you're you're thinking small ? If you have manifolds and a very stockish engine, the 2 & 1/4 set is enough, but the larger setup will not hurt you. LSG
thanks the engine is stock right now but im in the process of putting a 600 cfm edelbrock carb and intake kit on it and it probably wouldnt hurt to go 2 1/2" just in case i do ever wanna beef it up some more.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
I’ve put the Magnaflow 2.5” stainless system on several 289 HiPo based cars. The fit was excellent and the sound was just what I find pleasing in a vintage Ford V-8; no drone, not too loud at low rpm / part throttle, but will give you an “in-your-face” raspy growl when you hit the gas.

Z

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is not my car but after hearing this system it is what I put on my '66 FB...have been extremely happy with it.

John

Reactions: zray
1 - 7 of 7 Posts