Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea of throwing a 351W into Kingsford.
I know about the exhaust issues, new brackets, intake, oil pan needed etc. But, could I use my 289 front cover and water pump on the 351W? It would save the hassle of having to modify my radiator while still keeping a more "sleeper" look. You'd have to look twice to notice that wider intake manifold.

Also, if I found a used 351W and put my HEAVILY ported 289 heads on it, I'm thinking the results would be pretty good. Higher compression from the small combustion camber and the better flowing ports should make a good low budget motor.
I can only imagine the torque being better than my current 306 and the HP being at least as good, in a worst case senario.
Not to mention I could upgrade to a 393 stoker with aluminum heads in the future when there is a bigger budget. I've already got the chassis ready for the power /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Am I crazy? I don't have a lot to spend at this time...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a front cover from a 302 on my 351. Should be no problem.

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
I don't see any reason the front cover or waterpump wouldn't work on the 351.

As far as the heads go, my big question or concern, would be, what's it going to do to the compression? What size chamber, 55 CC?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used my 289 front cover, water pump, brackets, fan and fan spacer, belts, coolent hoses, motor mounts, pretty much the whole shebang for my 351W. Your small block bell housing, C-4 auto or toploader will bolt up just fine. When you stroke the 351W to a 392W a 11" clutch and bell housing would be in order. I did have trouble using the 289 power steering brackets with the higher deck block making the heads set higher, but fabricated adapters solved the problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I also used the 289 front cover when I swapped a 351W into my '65. The cover is a direct bolt on but any accessory brackets that bolt to both the water pump and the head will have to be replaced or modified because of the taller deck height of the block.

The heads can probably be made to work but there are a few considerations here also. The 289 uses smaller head bolts than the 351W. To use the 289 head you will have to drill or ream out the head bolt holes though the heads to the larger size. I have done this on later model 302 heads with no problem because the castings for the 351W and 302 heads were the same in the late 70s and 80s. I've never tried it with the early model heads so there MAY not be enough material around the holes.

The 69 351W with flat top pistons was rated at 10.7:1 compression. Substituting the 289 heads with smaller chambers will increase it to a level where it won't live on pump gas. Dish pistons would help, as would later blocks with more deck height. Just be aware that you need to CC everything and figure where the compression falls or you may end up with a problem.

Good Luck,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
onetrickpony stole the words out of my mouth, so I'll just respond to the "Am I crazy? I don't have a lot to spend at this time..." part ...

I had a hard enough time staying on your butt during the knotts beach cruise. So, yeah, I think your crazy ... you don't need the 351 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, LMAO!

Thanks for the replies everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts