Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 289 with PS. My fuel pump began leaking recently from the body of the pump and seems to be contaminating the engine oil, so I decided to replace it. I can easily access one of the bolts to the block; however, I cannot effectively access the second bolt. I can get a box wrench around the bolt, but the PS pump bracket prevents me from loosening the second bolt. Disappointingly, I can't get at it from under the car either.

Is there a special flexible socket available (from Sears?) that will allow me to remove the bolt without removing the PS mounting bracket? I would like to avoid removing the PS bracket if possible. If the PS mounting bracket needs to be removed, any suggestions on freeing painted bolts?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depending on the amount of clearance, you might be able to use a "universal joint" socket attachment. These are available for the smaller 1/4 and 3/8" drives. Otherwise you will need to remove the bracket. You should be able to remove the painted bolts with a wrench.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I fought around the P/S pump for a while and then found it much easier to just remove it. It only takes about 10 to remove/reinstall the P/S pump and I am assured that the fuel pump is installed correctly. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I have the same setup on my car, and I've found that I need a combination of a standard-depth socket, an extension on the socket, and a flex-head ratchet. Chances are that you've already got all these tools in your kit except for the flex-head; think about buying one, as this is one of the best tool purchases that I think I've ever made.

At any rate, I've not had to remove the PS unit or any of its parts to get the fuel pump off. I hope you can avoid it, too! Good luck and have fun! ::

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll try to leave the PS unit in place first, and it's a good excuse to buy some new tools. They may come in handy when something else in a tight space needs attention.

The bolts on PS mount closest to the valve cover are really tight and painted, so soaking them with penetrating fluid will require some paint removal. The bolts on the water pump are painted, but broke free easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. The new fuel pump is installed and working properly. No leaks (or fires).

I bought a flexhead wrench, and it helped get the old pump out; however, the replacement pump had slightly different dimensions, and I couldn't start the bolt closest the engine block. After about 20 minutes of "flexing" my "gutter" vocabulary and dropping the mounting bolt about 100 times, I unbolted (with a lot of effort) the PS pump mounting bracket and rotated it out of the way enough to access the mounting bolt near the block and finished the job.

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.