Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my problem, bought this 289 coupe which ran and drove. i removed the gas tank to replace with a new one and left it unhooked until i get new lines.
I then pulled off the carb and rebuilt it.
Put the newly rebuilt carb on the motor and hooked a gas bottle up to the fuel pump.
My problem is the top end of the motor is getting no fuel.
I stuck another fuel pump on today which was used but new when i put it on the motor about 3 years ago and it does the same thing. no gas to the top of the engine. After cranking for a bit on fuel pump#2 i disconnecetd the fuel line and it was bone dry down at the pump
I am a little confused as this isn't rocket science- i just want to get the car running again. are there any tips etc when you install a fuel pump on a ford small block?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Is fuel getting to the pump (unhook the line from the tank and see if you can get gas to run out)? Then unhook the line from the pump to the carb (at the carb) and crank the engine over a couple of revs (with the key off so there's no sparking) and see if fuel is coming out of the pump okay. Be sure to use something to catch the gas so you don't fill up your engine bay with fuel.

Just be careful not to set fire to the car or garage. Of course I'm sure you have a good fire extingusher in your garage already in case the worst happens.
Rich
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't have the tank hooked up, i have a hose/gas can attached to the pump so i know the fuel is there it just isn't getting pumped upwards to the carb.

is there any kind of way to prime the fuel pump?
i was told to pour a little gas in the carb to let the motor run for a few seconds to prime the F pump faster???

·
Registered
343 Posts
Missed that part, sorry. Do you have any way to position the gas can above the pump so that the gas can just run downhill to the pump? Generally pumps pump, they don't suck (unless they're SU's for those old enough to have had a British sportscar. Those pumps sucked).
Rich

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
On my Mach 1, I had a new pump go bad from sitting about 2 years. Fortunately, they're not very expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem solved....father in law came over and helped. got the pump going but car still would not start.....
choke was effed up and flooding the car out.
had i known what i was doing, probably would have never had to change out the fuel pump!

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
"had i known what i was doing"

Heck, that's why most of us come here...we don't know what we are doing ,or we have vague ideas of what we are doing, and need the assistance of those who have been there before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts