Vintage Mustang Forums banner

289 Headers - what do I have?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Nos681 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My 66 coupe is currently on axle stands waiting for parts to arrive. As is always the case, I keep finding other projects that need doing!

On looking at the headers, I think the rust is holding them together!

I'm thinking of replacing them but the options are baffling me and as I'll have to order from the U.S, I don't want to get the wrong thing, especially as I'm doing all this in my drive way.

In fact that's the first question - I have wheel ramps so I can raise the front a foot or so. Is it possible to swap out the headers without the car being on a ramp. The following CJ install video seems to show that its possible but they say 'pull the header up from the bottom" ?

I know the pictures aren't great - but is it possible to ID what I have just by looking at the pics? - Note. This is a power steering car and the cylinder has been lowered by the previous owner.

Cheers
Grant
www.mymustangjourney.com

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
With no manufacturer marking it's just about impossible to identify. Some stamp their name in the flanges and I have seen some with a metal ID tag welded to one of the tubes. It looks to me like you have enough room to remove/install from underneath. If you are sure you're going to replace them go ahead and see if you can get them out.
That looks like the factory power steering ram mount to me. Some header manufacturers advertise that their headers will fit with the factory mount and a special extended length mount is not needed. I'd look for a set of those headers as there are horror stories about the extended length mounts ripping out of the frame rail.
Good headers are not cheap. Expect to pay at least several hundred dollars for a good set that will fit without having to hammer dents in them.

#5 · (Edited)
. . . .That looks like the factory power steering ram mount to me. Some header manufacturers advertise that their headers will fit with the factory mount and a special extended length mount is not needed. I'd look for a set of those headers as there are horror stories about the extended length mounts ripping out of the frame rail.
It does appear so, but the I believe the PO used a piece (or two?) of square tubing to space it down for header clearance. I think I would prefer the extended bracket to this arrangement.

#6 ·
Agreed. If they do not leak I would keep them.

I would avoid "bargain" headers. I am not sure I would by headers sold by a company known for emblems.

I have had very good luck with Hedman Hedders. My latest set are Elites with high temp coating. They are very nice. Even the base model Hedmans are good.

#9 ·
If you really think they are rusty,pull them and blast them.If you end up with holes --weld them up. Going to be way less expensive and quicker than ordering new ones that may or may not give you fits trying to get them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.