Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, does anyone have a preference on which heads are better out of the AFR 165 Renegades or the Dart Iron Eagles, I'm looking at the 58cc chambers , not looking to change pistons and both of these seem to have standard exhaust locations and I believe are a no modification needed bolt on head ??
I'm taking Barts advice on the change to the Weiand intake to go with my HE 268 H cam, 600 Holley, Hedman headers and pertronix ignition. I have a 3.5 rear end and am just looking to free up a few more neddies out of my 289.

Any advice on the above mentioned heads would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the AFR 165 (PN 1402) on my 331, which was a 289. I'm very impressed with the performance, the weight saving, also the workmanship & my engine runs cooler thanks to the better heat dissipation characteristics of aluminium over cast iron. The heads come with adjustable 5/16 guide plates & intake & exhaust ports are CNC milled. I would recommend them to anyone because I now have the neddies that were missing. Heads make an engine. (How very true)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Look at the pro's and con's, the iron eagles are less expensive but a lot heavier than the AFR's.

As far as the numbers go;
the 185 cc Iron Eagles are said to flow 245 intake and 159 exhaust at .500 lift
the 165 AFR Renegades are said to flow 269 intake and 212 exhaust at .500 lift

Flow numbers are not everything but just looking at the numbers, the as delivered Iron Eagles are a little down on the exhaust flow but not by a whole lot.

If you are a bit concerned about the combustion chamber cc's, AFR will mill their heads for you down to as much as 50'ccs which tends to work well with a healthy 289 or 302. The Iron Eagle's come with 2.02 valves which may be a problem for your pistons if they are eyebrow cut and the cam is lifting over .500. There are a lot of variables depending on your top end engineering but something to consider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see the Dart do a 1.94 valve size which shouldn't be a problem for std Pistons . I also see that the non egr version from AFR is probably the one to go for in that range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts