Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling on the collective wisdom of the site--I need an engine for the vert, and want input on whether this is a good deal, or if I should move on:

Situation: resto-modding a 67 vert c-Code. Original engine not rebuildable. Objective is a streetable car, capable of doing road trips in relative comfort, but still be a "quick" car when necessary. No racing planned. I was planning on going the Ford Racing crate motor route, but a trusted friend told me about a 289 Hi-Po available.

Bottom line: I can get a rebuilt, balanced289 Hi-Po, ready to drop in car, for $3500. Is this a good deal, or should I go for the crate motor, or a used block (non-Hi-Po) that I have rebuilt?

Note: I know just enough about engines to be dangerous, and won't be doing the rebuild myself.

Thanks for your input,
Greg

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That same money will by you a much better engine in the Ford crate engine. The roller cam and heads will make it outperform the 289 HiPo by a large margin, plus it will probably be more economical. The HiPo engine was nothing more than a stronger 289 with a hotter solid flat tappet camshaft. Step into the new millenium and let someone restoring a K-code car get the HiPo and be slower than you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why would you! With the amount of aftermarket parts that are around for SBF and since your doing a restomod anyway the 289 would be better suited for the correct car. Let the #match freak that relic is meant for find it! Go get yourself outfitted for some aluminum fuel injected roller cam hireving always starting LOVE. Can you feel that>>> :: :D

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
I'm too used to eBay, where every 289 with an Edelbrock manifold and a four barrell is magically a "Hi-Po". You need to check into if it a Real Hi-Po, or a Sears Hi-Po....

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Crate engine, hands down. I would also suggest AFR heads, and a good carb/intake or fuel injection system.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
....but have the info available on that HiPo if possible, lots of guys here might be interested. How many times have we seen real HiPo cars with that one little item under the hood AWOL. One man's "relic" is another man's Holy Grail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts