Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a ‘66k-code that did not come with the original engine. I have found a VIN stamped k-block, I have a 4bbl intake, & HiPo exhaust manifolds. I am open to performance upgrades & am not dead set on a true HiPo build.

This is my first engine build so I’m just looking for suggestions on what to upgrade & what to try to find NOS or OEM parts.

End goal: a reliable engine with a little giddy up (300-350 hp).

TIA!

·
Premium Member
6,149 Posts
You can build that and more into a 289 or 302 block without spending the coin to acquire the original K parts, and still make it look like a K engine.

Reactions: HoosierBuddy

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd spend the $1,500+ it would take to buy HiPo heads and invest in some heads that don't strangle the 289, like World Products Windsor Jrs or Dart Iron Eagles if you want an iron head that flows more. GT40s from a later roller 5.0L will do in a pinch, but aren't a major upgrade. I'd stick to a K-code type bottom end with similar or same rods and pistons, the bigger balancer, more modern camshaft, etc. The Autolite 4100 is a good little carb, but maybe go with a 1.12 version to match the new flow of the engine.

·
7,065 Posts
I agree with first love above. Your heads are going to make or break your build. Hypo heads were the berries in 1966...and they remained a fine choice for decades after....but the SBF world eventually moved on and any modern performance head will out perform them now. I ran the 165 cc AFR heads on my 289 with KB116 pistons to get the 58cc combustion chambers back up to 10:1 CR and clear the bigger valves in the heads. Matched with a good street cam and a 4 barrel 600 CFM carb it ran like a scalded dog (3.55 gears helped too). I don't think it made 350 HP though.

I moved those same heads over to a 347 and they are a bit small for it....but the torque increase was worth it.

I guess as I'm thinking about this I'm going to say "IF I WAS YOU"

If I was you, I'd give up on the 300-350 goal and build the k-block you have back up to true k-spec with the right parts all around. It'll make your car worth a lot more (even if it doesn't match the vin) and it will provide plenty of power for as much mischief as you care to get into.

Phil

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Are you keeping a solid lifter cam in it?

Reactions: zray

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Don’t forget the wider HiPo main bearing caps. Those are absolutely critical to having a high revving engine that you don’t have to baby.

they are being reproduced too.

Z

1 - 6 of 6 Posts