Vintage Mustang Forums banner

289 in a 6 cylinder body

536 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  L20068
G
I bought a 66 with a exterior and a decent interior but it does not have a engine or trans. THe previous owner had a 289 in it but he took the 289 out before selling the car. What engine do I put in it. The Vin calls for a 6 cyl. and the frount has 4 lug bolts but he was driving it with a 289. What can I check for to see if it is set up for a v-8 or if the guy was a total nut.
Seth
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Since it has 4 lug front end, it wasn't setup completely for a V-8. The rear-end should have been changed to a 5 lug 8 or 9 inch instead of the 4 lug rearend. Do a search on this conversion and you will find plenty on the subject in past posts. There is even a website that outlines all the changes necessary.
G
If you decide to go with a 289, make sure that you do the 5 lug and V-8 suspension changeover...it is very dangerous if you don't! The 6cyl hardware is much smaller and not built to hand the weight and HP gain.

Good Luck
That's the truth. Shoot, when I put the cam and header on my engine, I nearly broke the splines on the rearend, which is why went to an 8" limited slip differential.

The 4 lug setup (also including the anemic front and rear drums and shoes) is extremely weak for ANYTHING except a completely stock 170/200.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.