Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a '67 Mustang coupe with the original 289. It currently has a stock 2 barrel intake and Autolite 2100.

I would like a litte better performance so I thought a 4 barrell carburetor would be a good starting point. I have a Holley Street Avenger 570 carburetor. I also have a stock 4 barrel '67 Ford intake but I'm not sure if I should install it or a different type intake.

The engine was rebuilt at one point. The engine has the original heads and stock style cam. The car has dual exhaust and headers. It has a 3 speed manual transmission and 8" rear end. The rear end currently has 2.79 gears but I'll replace these in the future.

I drive primarily on the street but plan to take the car to the track at least once a year. I'm not sure how far I will go with performance parts at this point. I do know it is not near fast enough in current form. At some point a new cam and different heads will probably be installed.

Please let me know your thoughts on a good intake.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
If you plan on increasing the cars performance in the future I would choose an intake on which to build off of and one that will work on a performance build. A dual plane high rise intake like a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM intake are both excellent intakes that could be used on a future performance build. Both should fit under your stock hood as well.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've got the Weiand Steath (dual plane high rise) on my '67 289 and really like it, good for idle to 6K+. Had it port matched to my AFR165's and expect them to breathe well together. I've also read good things about the new Action Plus line.
I'd wait to port match any intake you buy until you upgrade the heads. I'm also using a 1/2" Phenolic spacer which lowered the temp of the carb. drastically, used to be too hot to touch, now warm to touch from underhood heat. Used a drop base air cleaner and 14X3" filter and it fits under the stock hood. Using a Demon Jr. 625 but could have gone with the 525 and been fine.
Jon

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a stock motor with the Holley 570, do you think an Holley Stealth or Edelbrock RPM are much better than the stock 4v? I already have the stock 4v I could install.

I could run it for now if there is not much difference and sell it later. Otherwise, I'll try to sell it to buy something different.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm running a Summit dual plane with a 1" riser & it works great.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went with the Weiand Action Plus as it sets a little lower than the Performer (also supposedly has a little more top end than the Performer).

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
67TXStang said:
On a stock motor with the Holley 570, do you think an Holley Stealth or Edelbrock RPM are much better than the stock 4v? I already have the stock 4v I could install.

I could run it for now if there is not much difference and sell it later. Otherwise, I'll try to sell it to buy something different.
Absolutely no comparison between the stock intake and the Weiand or Edelbrock. The aftermarket intakes are far superior. That being said you will probably see only a small hp gain from those intakes given you are using stock heads but they will still be an improvement + a weight savings over the cast iron intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts