Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to turn a 289 into a 347? Is the bore the same on a 289 and a 302? thanks -chris

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
You can stroke a 289 up to a 428! 302 and 289 both have a 4.000" bore. If you want to stay with the 4.000" bore you can go up to a 416ci. That takes a 6.2" rod. In order to get to the 428 you need a 4.128" bore and 6.49" rod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I once read in a magazine article that it's not even a good idea to out a 302 crank into a 289 block. The reason being: a 302 block although similar in size has a larger "lip" (the bottom of the cylinder wall) to accomodate the extra stroke. I would not attempt it, because a 347 stroker crank is made for a 302 block, and the piston may "come out" at the bottom of a 289 cylinder. Just my two cents.

G

·
0 Posts
i would have to agree a 302 block shouldnt be too hard to find. personaly after looking at the piston pin location on a 347 and a 331 i wouldnt go bigger than 331.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Coast High Performance offers a 347 stoke kit with altered wrist pin location to avoid the ring land intrusion common to stroke kits. I personally am finishing up a 289/347 stroke kit (Bored .04 over) from Eagle and have no problems with cylinder lip or bottom end clearances.

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
I've read and saw a picture on another site about a year or so ago. That differnence in overall lenght of the 289 vs. a 302 appears to be a falasy. However, accordind to Ford blueprints, shows a difference. This appears to be a case of "as drawn" and "as built" and anybody who works with blueprints knows this all to well!

·
7,013 Posts
Methinks you have confused a 302 with a 351. A 347 kit is the largest made for a SBF. I have also read the warning about stroking 289s and have also seen information that it is OK. I'd contact the kit manufacturer and talk to someone there that is knowledgable, and I'd take anything they said with a grain of salt, before I actually tried it. And the bad part is you might not know when you were done. If the piston skirt is dropping out of the bore is that a problem or not (assuming it isn't hitting the crank). Beats me. Build 30 of them, run them for 100,000 miles and get back to us.

In the meantime I'd spring the extra couple hundred bucks and get a new roller block from Summit.

But that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to do some more research and see what I come up with. I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Here is a build up of a 355 from a 289 block. Dave Williams used a heavily modified 351C crank to come up with this combination. The build-up was done before 347 crankshafts were cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Back in the 60s, they stroked 289s to 352 cu in by using cranks from the old Y-blocks. In 1964, Pete Robinson defeated Don Garlits' blown Hemi dragster (at least once) with a blown 352 (stroked 289).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts