Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys once again, i ask the mustang community for help.
I was thinking that my k code maifold may be restricting things a bit. Is there a replacement manifold that my autolite 4100 will just bolt up to and give me more hp and torque? ..or am i running the best for my carb right now?
i want to maintain stock appearance and linkage placement ..is that possible aftermarket? ..and would the change be significant in hp and quality?
anyway thank you all...everyone has been very helpful over the last few years.
Steve
ps : my car is 65 289 stock motor. dual 21/2 exhaust.
600cfm autolite..ponycarbs. k manifold. 14aircleaner.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just my opinion. The 2.5 inch exhaust may be too much for your motor at a stock setup. You will get closer to using it with heads, cam, intake and carb. A 600 cfm carb is probably all you can use right now with your motor, but a highrise aluminum manifold will defiantly help your setup. I am not familier with the autolite carbs, but am with holleys. I have a pretty hot setup and the 650 holley double pumper works well for me. What you get out of a double pumper is a better "stomp" throttle response.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The most common replacement discussed amnogst here is to use the Performer intake (you probably dont need the RPM version...) and this will readily accept the 4100. You can order it in regular cast aluminum or polished as well.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Unless you have a Shelby or Cobra aluminum intake on there, you have a standard cast iron 4V intake, essentially the same as on the A-code 289's.

Either of the two above manifolds, or a Performer, would be a nice improvement. Beware of vacuum leak possibilities with a 4100 on a Performer. A carb spacer/PCV hookup usually solves that issue.

Given the rest of your combo (I'm guessing stock exhaust manifolds), look for maybe 10hp at the outside over the CI intake...most of this will occur in the midrange/higher rpm ranges, say over 2500-3000 rpm.

I run essentially the same combo as I described above (stock engine, 1.08 4100, Cobra intake, shorty headers, 2.25" exhaust) on my D-coder with well-balanced results...it has a stock converter and 3.00's. I noticed most of the difference once the engine got over 2000rpm in any gear.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I use a 4100 on a warmed over 289 with a performer intake. I ground off the performer letters and powdercoated the intake. It looks stock. I also spent the whopping $5.30 for the edelbrock spacer to eliminate the air gap at the bottom of the carb. I use the stock spacer with the PCV tube and, unless I tell them what I have, they can't tell. I also have tri-y's, but if you have the hi-po exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't waste the money to change over. Unless you're looking to shave off a few seconds, it won't be worth the $$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts