Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original 289 in my 65 fb, with the exception of heads(now have 76 model 302 heads). The 289 is getting a little tired and I am trying to decide whether to rebuild or replace. Money is a BIG factor, just ask Mrs. Russ'stang! If the 289 has not been bored more than .030 already, what can I safely rebore to without overheating problems? Is it worth it to have it resleeved? I really like the 289 and would like to do the following:
I already have a Performer intake, Holley 600, Tri-Ys w/ dual exhaust and a C-4 w/2.80 rear gears. I intend to add a slightly hotter roller cam and retrofit roller lifters, roller rockers and a set of affordable heads. I have a set of 65 289 heads that I might home port/polish or would consider a set of cheap (less than $500 junkyard heads....351W, etc). I would like to add 3.25-3.50 gears and an AOD in the near future. This is a daily driver and sees NO strip action, but I do like to surprise a few people at stoplights. I currently get 18 mpg, so I don't want to hurt that either.
Can anyone offer suggestions? Is this a decent setup that I am looking at going to? I would love to get into the 275HP range, but don't want to spend too much and don't want to hurt my driveability. Thanks for your time and advice in advance.

When I can't stand, I must lean...
When I can't see, I must believe....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The roller valvetrain,... while nice...will set you back the big bucks. I reccomend keeping the original heads and putting the money into valves, springs, homeport & port/polish and solid lifters with screw-in studs. You can pay for it by not going full roller valvetrain.

Change the rear gears to 3:50s....

To save you some money,.. I have a set of Competition Cams roller tipped rockers (used but in very good shape) I'll let you have for a good price.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm very interested. I'll email you when I get home from work, or you can send the info to [email protected]. I'm also interested in some of the other handling/performance mods you've done to your car, it is one of my favorite ones on here.

When I can't stand, I must lean...
When I can't see, I must believe....

G

·
0 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with .40 over, but I would have a machine shop check!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!!!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'd rebuild the 289 if it hasn't already been bored. I've heard some people bore them to .060, but I personally wouldn't bore a SBF more than .040 as they don't have very thick walls to begin with.

Roadracer is right, in that the full roller setup starts to eat up budgets quick. I was lucky enough to come across a real nice deal on some '69 351W heads that already have screw in studs and guide plates, and heavy duty springs with dampners. Even got a set of roller rockers in the deal.

Keep in mind that the 351W heads will also require different head bolts (read expensive) and will drop your compression some, so should be shaved (or the block built up more) to compensate.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Why don't you pickup a roller block/engine from junkyard and sell your 289 to someone who values dated stuff, if originality isn't an issue. I am no engine builder but I would think 275 is no sweat even with stock block if you just let it rev, which means good intake manifold, ported heads, slightly stiffer valve springs and maybe roller rockers.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 6 of 6 Posts