Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 mustang coupe that I bought from a neighbor but it came with what some would call a "mystery motor" because we know nothing about it. We were planning on pulling off the valve covers and oil pan to check for any signs of it being rebuilt but we have no idea. The VIN number on the motor was grinded off for some reason. I would like to rebuild the engine but am completely unsure of what to put in it, I would like to pull ATLEAST 300 hp out of this and shoot for 325 hp. I have tried to look through some build forums but cannot really find out what I should stick in this and am very open and would love to hear people's builds they have and their 1/4 mile times. The engine will be paired with an (I believe original) c4 auto transmission and I wanted to put on a really nice shift kit and a budget but not too cheap hi stall torque converter or any type of good torque converter. Because they are so expensive I was ever wondering if torque converters were worth it or if I should spend that money on parts for the engine. In all, let me know what shift kit, torque converter, and parts I should throw in there! This is something I need help with so please let me know!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Shuttle, is the 289 in the car still ? Do you have the small or the large chambered heads ? Do you know how to tell ? can you take a pisture of the front of the engine for us ? LSG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 66 mustang coupe that I bought from a neighbor but it came with what some would call a "mystery motor" because we know nothing about it. We were planning on pulling off the valve covers and oil pan to check for any signs of it being rebuilt but we have no idea. The VIN number on the motor was grinded off for some reason. I would like to rebuild the engine but am completely unsure of what to put in it, I would like to pull ATLEAST 300 hp out of this and shoot for 325 hp. I have tried to look through some build forums but cannot really find out what I should stick in this and am very open and would love to hear people's builds they have and their 1/4 mile times. The engine will be paired with an (I believe original) c4 auto transmission and I wanted to put on a really nice shift kit and a budget but not too cheap hi stall torque converter or any type of good torque converter. Because they are so expensive I was ever wondering if torque converters were worth it or if I should spend that money on parts for the engine. In all, let me know what shift kit, torque converter, and parts I should throw in there! This is something I need help with so please let me know!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
I also wanted to add a few things, I need new headers and a recommended pipe setup for a good sounding exhaust but not too loud. I also wanted to add that this will be a daily driver for myself and will have frequent highway use. I maybe even wanted to ask what would be recommended for gears in the rear diff. And a few last things about the engine, the engine already has an aluminum Edelbrock 289 performer low rise intake, it needs a new fuel pump and I am unsure of what to use as well as I already have a 4 barrel Holley double pumper carb! Sorry I know this is a lot but thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shuttle, is the 289 in the car still ? Do you have the small or the large chambered heads ? Do you know how to tell ? can you take a pisture of the front of the engine for us ? LSG
The engine as well as near everything else is pulled out of the car but I will try to send pictures of the engine tomorrow at the shop! And no I do not know how to tell if it has small or large chambered heads...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Shuttle, take a picture of where the intake meets the head at the front corner. You'll want a better intake, if you like Edelbrock, get a performer RPM. Is that 650 a double pumper ? Thats not really helpful for everyday street driving. LSG

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
832 Posts
Shuttle, take a picture of where the intake meets the head at the front corner.
@LSG What are you looking for here?

He's right about the 289 Performer. Apart from being lighter, it isn't much better than the factory cast iron intake.

If you have a borescope, then you can look through a spark plug hole and see if it has dished or flat top pistons. Cheap borescopes for your phone are available online. I had to do this on my recently acquired mystery 302.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sheza, the corner of the heads is cast differently on the small chambered heads, you can see part of the shank of the intake manifold bolt. If you can't see the this part of the bolt, you don't have the small chamber heads. LSG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts