Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have aluminum intake on my 289, got my holley carb back today, do i need spacer plate for any reason, clearance,vacumn,4spd car. or can i just bolt carb to intake. seems to me from i remember all my 289s years ago had a plate but im not sure on that. autozone has these for 15.00 or so. thanks.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Is it a aftermarket intake ? If so and it's a 4 BBL , you don't really need a spacer . The spacer will help produce some HP and torque but not much . As long as the plenum under the carb is open to where the carb butterfly(s) don't hit the intake a spacer is not needed .
I like using the phenolic (spelling?) spacers as they keep the carb cooler myself . Only problem of not having a spacer you may run into is vapor-lock type issues .

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Not really.

The stock spacers were pot metal so they certainly won't insulate :)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Engines do not HAVE to have spacers.

Factory spacers are for PCV connection, carb warming, heat insulation, or any combination.

Aftermarket spacers are primarily for heat insulation or intake tuning.

Sometimes they can help with distributor clearance.

Every single engine is different when it comes to whether the spacer adds performance or not.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Are we talking 2 bbl. or 4 bbl.? I've got an extra 2 bbl. spacer you can have, if you want it. Toss $5 my way for shipping and its yours! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts