Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
into a 3 year rebuild and getting ready to fire up my 289 in a 64 1/2 vert (april 9-10 1964 build). I got some good advice to put a little bit of marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and prime the oil pump before cranking.

I went to remove the plugs and all came out fine except the #5 plug. I put in new plugs when the engine was on the stand and replace the exhaust manifolds. I now cant seem to get a socket over the plug in the #5 cylinder. I don't remember if I put the plugs in before the manifold. but cant geth the #5 plug out. need a much thinner wall socket or something. does this sound familiar to anyone? crazy.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yes! I have a thin wall Mac 3/8 swivel head socket that gets in there on my 289. You may be able to get a dremmel or something similar in there when the plug is out to grind away a little on the offending area.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just fired up my rebuilt 289 yesterday, and while I had it on the stand I checked spark plug socket clearance on the hipo manifolds. I had to grind off a bit for a few ports and quite a bit on the MLS gaskets.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll try a thin wall socket. May grind one down. It will be a bit of a pain to grind down the manifold now that the engine is installed and the manifolds painted with high heat natural coating.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
When you get the plug out, see if you can remove the offending cast edge. Should be possible to do this with a normal socket.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have one tight one and I found that a thinwall deep socket takes up less space than a spark plug socket

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I don't know what plug you are running, but if it requires a 13/16" socket you may want to research a comparable plug in 5/8" version. Most manufacturers offer both. I had a similar issue on my 302 with JBA headers. Autolite offered the solution in my case.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. i pulled the manifold, cleaned up some extra casting flash on the manifold, re-painted with the exhaust manifold paint from Eastwood and now a standard socket fits perfectly for the 13/16” plug. Another step in this re-assembly journey. 2 steps up and 1 step back.......

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
FWIW, there is a significant difference in the wall thickness of spark plug sockets based on manufacturer (and quality) with, interestingly enough, the "better" versions being the THINNER wall ones as they are made with higher quality steel. The best ones I have in my box are Mac and Snap-On and the worst generic "China" with Crapsman in the middle. The only reason I have some "cheapies" left is that I used to stick them under the seat of my Wheel Horses for "field tuning".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts