Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still deciding here! can't seem to make my mind up. have the 289 sitting in a car out in the yard or can make a 8hr drive and spend some money to get a 390 for my fastback, either way i will get the engine redone. just can't make my mind up! decisions decisions....do think it would be cool to tell people the cars a big block.
even the getting a engine should be the least of my worrys with the car can't help thinking about it. mainly because if i pull the 289 i'll be selling the cars body.
russ

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/4F/F2/1650255-1ec7-01B00144-.jpg

Need any more motivation???/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats A LOT of motor to stuff in there. I know damn near a job and a half to do a spark plug change....but the motor looks so big!!
Russ

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
To me bigger is always better. I like cubic inches. If you are going to drive 8 hrs. to get a engine why not look for a 428. May cost a little more but would be worth it. Good Luck.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

K

·
0 Posts
Rick did you polish that air cleaner lid yet?/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just a thought, but what other than a crank change is necessary to turn that 390 into a 428?

If you are going to redo it, REDO IT!

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Even if you put a 428 crank in a 390, you will only have a 410. You can not make a 390 a 428, there is not enough cylinder meat to bore it that far. Plus if you go with the 428 crank it must be externally balanced, where the 390 is internally balanced if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Aren't the heads also different? as is the intake?

anyway....I would definitely go big block on this one.....
If you do I may have some brackets and stuff left over from the one I sold (I would have to turn the garage inside out to find them though..... :) )

I wish you would have posted this months ago....I also had a 4 speed top loader with the engine that sold...

I may be able to help you find another though.....

shoot me an email sometime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts