Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, here goes: On a '65 289, how are the pistons numbered
2)is there any way to tell whether the piston is on the compression or the exhaust stroke with just the pistons and crank installed? Thanks

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Passenger side, front to back is 1, 2, 3, 4. Drivers side is 5, 6, 7, 8. No, you can't tell with out the cam installed. Even with the cam installed, it would be difficult to see where the lobe was positioned. You'll have to have the heads installed....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Without a cam installed, pistons don't know (and don't care) if they're on the "compression" or "exhaust" stroke. The cam defines these strokes and they both occur when the piston is moving upwards, toward the cylinder head.

What are you attempting to do? Please explain, maybe we can help?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was trying to figure out how the cam should be lined up...but yeah, I ended up figuring out what the two little dots on the sprockets were for, so I guess I got it. Thanks

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If this is a new engine, the only thing I'll add is to make sure the pistons, when mounted on the rods and installed in the block, are oriented in such a way that the major rod bearing bore champher (one side of the bearing bore is champhered more than the other) faces the root radius of the crank cheek...

When you get to that point, if you haven't already gotten there, and have any questions, post...

You checked the cam thrust, yes? Definitely a must when installing timing sprocket, if this is a new installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts