Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Coupe 289. I've been if full restoration mode for about six months now. I have all the body work complete block and in Epoxy primer waiting on Paint. I was going with Candy Apple red but changed my mind and now new to pick a new color to spray. So question one I painted my 03 Cobra hot rod matte black and it looks amazing. Anyone seen any old school mustang in matte and if so how did it look? Question two. I've had this car for years and the PO installed a Power Plus Crosswind Intake and a Holley 670 Avenger Carb. The car was having compression issues so I punched it 30 over and installed new rings and pistols. It also was a wiring nightmare. I installed a painless and resolved those two issues. I have also installed a MSD, 3 core radiator, electric fan, long tubes, custom exhaust, and disk brakes. With the setup the PO put it's too much for the stock heads and cam. I have a 268h with all the supporting equipment laying around my shop. Has anyone used this setup? I'll work the heads if need be but I have a lot of random 302 heads laying around the shop. Anyone use them? The 289 is new to me. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have everything to do it in my shop. So that's not a worry. I just really do restoration so my knowledge of the 289s is minimal. I don't do much performance just stock building on older cars.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I have a 65 Coupe 289. I've been if full restoration mode for about six months now. I have all the body work complete block and in Epoxy primer waiting on Paint. I was going with Candy Apple red but changed my mind and now new to pick a new color to spray. So question one I painted my 03 Cobra hot rod matte black and it looks amazing. Anyone seen any old school mustang in matte and if so how did it look? Question two. I've had this car for years and the PO installed a Power Plus Crosswind Intake and a Holley 670 Avenger Carb. The car was having compression issues so I punched it 30 over and installed new rings and pistols. It also was a wiring nightmare. I installed a painless and resolved those two issues. I have also installed a MSD, 3 core radiator, electric fan, long tubes, custom exhaust, and disk brakes. With the setup the PO put it's too much for the stock heads and cam. I have a 268h with all the supporting equipment laying around my shop. Has anyone used this setup? I'll work the heads if need be but I have a lot of random 302 heads laying around the shop. Anyone use them? The 289 is new to me. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the horrible grammar. I suck using my phone. BTW it's a Three speed.
Here is a picture from the Web:

Looks like an unfinished car to me personally and will show everything (flaws). I'd pick the original 65 color option of Raven Black over matte any day!

Comp Cams 268H (218/218 @.050), or Comp Cams XE268H (224/230 @.050),... or another cam? I want to make sure we're talking about same cam. What rear gears are you presently running? Planning on running?

:cheers:

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I haven't built a 289 myself. I have known many people who have. I have built 351 Ford engines. Here are few points to consider:

- The Ford 289 is a great engine. If built properly, it can give you plenty of power for a Mustang and reliability to survive the Apocalypse. However, you're not going to get stump-pulling torque from a 289.

- You can get good power at lower RPMs and very good power at higher RPMs. Based on my observations, the 289 likes a lot of cam. If you have a 3-speed manual, you should be able to use a pretty snotty cam without issues.

- With all other things, like cylinder heads, being equal, three critical issues are Cam, Compression and Ignition Curve, or CCIC. (Hey, I just made that up!) Thus, find closed chambered heads and deck the block and mill those heads to achieve 10:1 compression with flattop pistons. Choose your cam based on the weight of the car, the rear gear, the transmission, the engine static compression and what you want to do. Then have your distributor ignition curve calibrated to match the camshaft profile. And, boom! You got a really fun engine! You can't install a cam that happens to be lying around the garage and expect to be optimal.

- So, I wouldn't bother with the 302 heads you have laying around unless they have closed combustion chambers. Again, it's fine to run iron heads, just don't run open chambered iron heads. Compression makes a huge difference on a small V8 like a 289.

- Carburetors don't make much difference on a street engine. Any decent carburetor of proper size will work just fine. Personal preference is a big factor here. Some people like an Edelbrock carb. Some people will die before running anything other than a Holley. Some people like the "Super Holley" from vendors like Quick Fuel. And some people must have fuel injection. Decide what you like. The carb you have is likely just fine.

- Sounds like you have a nice, dual exhaust. Be sure to include an "H-Pipe" in the exhaust. Run whatever mufflers you like. The performance difference between various mufflers will be minimal on a street car.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 29 has a built 351 and it runs hard. I am currently running long tubes, he pipe, with flowmasters and it sounds great. So I wasn't planning on changing. It's not going to be anything crazy I have a 13 gt500, 12 boss 302, and a 03 Cobra for the load mouthed Chevy guys.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
3-Speed toploader and 3.55 rear with 268H will be nicely balanced!

As far as cylinder heads go I'd just recommend keeping an eye on compression with the cylinder heads you use for best results!

·
Registered
509 Posts
It currently has the 355s in he rear and it's the regular 268h sorry had to run to the garage to check it lol
power brakes or manual? A/C? what are your vacuum requirements? 3 spd trans and 3.55 gears = option for decent size cam but that has to be balanced with the rest of the combo. Additionally, how is the vehicle going to be used? Strictly street, 75/25 street/strip? All go all the time?
Do you what piston are in your block? Actual compression ratio? all these questions will matter in a few post when you head down the aluminum head/roller cam set-up :grin2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
H273cp30 at 9.5 according to the speed shop I purchased them from. It's just going to be a cruiser. Yes power brakes no to AC unless you count the 60 mph AC lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My rides minus the 13 GT500 and the old lady's modified 09

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
H273cp30 at 9.5 according to the speed shop I purchased them from. It's just going to be a cruiser. Yes power brakes no to AC unless you count the 60 mph AC lol
I wouldn't count on an "advertised" compression ration for pistons. To many assumptions in there. If you know the piston manufacture or piston number that would be better. The piston compression height etc and did you deck the block? Most will tell you to go aluminum heads (as would I if you can afford them) and depending on manufacture there are some guidelines for piston to valve clearances. Obviously if you went that route you need to check it. For power brakes you need vacuum. you would have to read up on your booster requirements but should be 16-17 inches of vacuum.

So basically decide if you are going to drop cash on heads (AFR/Twisted Wedge) and then build from there.

As stated if you have closed chambers heads and want to juice it up a little then like 22GT stated port them and match with a cam that supports vacuum and pressed in factory studs. So ported heads, hyd version of hipo cam, headers intake and your carb should put out 320 FWHP by previous dyno results posted multiple times by 22GT...

same motor with AFR or TW heads, intake, headers, and enough vacuum would be 400/400+ FWHP with a simple OTS cam like comp cams XE266HR
choices....:shrug:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Money really isn't an option it just time. I still need to buy paint, get it back to my booth and lay it. Finish the interior and engine. So I'm trying to get everything done the first time so and right. In my younger years I've made the mistake of changing arts every other month, and I have a 32 three window I want to get done before summer's over.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts