Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 65 about a year ago. It has a 289 bored out .060-over. QUESTION #1. Should I be nervous that it is bored out that far? I always though.030-over was about as far as you could go and not be too thin between the cylinders. It is pretty much a stock build, as far as I know. I have no idea what cam is in it, it does have an Edelbrock perfromer intake/600cfm carb and long-tube headers. It always pulled pretty hard but it recently developed a pretty bad tick in the valve train. I discovered a 3/32" perfect cirlcle pounded into the #8 Intake rocker where it rides on the valvestem. QUESTION #2 Anybody have any idea why this might be? I would think maybe a lifter that is varnished or otherwise not working properly (they are hydraulic, not solid). Here's what I'm thinking of doing: Buying an Edelbrock Performer cam / lifter set to match the rest of the induction, buying an inexpensive set of the roller tip rockers, and a double roller timing chain to replace the stock one. QUESTION #3: Can I use the performer cam with my stock valve springs? The stock timing chain is stretched over the 1/2" limit. Could this have been the cause of my rocker damage? Oil pressure is fine. I have not done a compression check of the cylinders yet. Any other suggestions on what to do? I'd appreciate any comments / suggestions you all may have. Thanks-

·
Registered
404 Posts
QUESTION #1. .060 over is quite a bit, but there are several people on this board that are running that. If it doesn't overheat, I guess it's ok.

QUESTION #2. I would suspect oil starvation, but really have never really seen what you are describing.

QUESTION #3 I have been running the performer cam/intake/600 cfm carb combo on stock valve springs for about 4 years now. Seems to be ok so far..... ;)

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Mine is .060 over and it runs fine. The only problem with a "big" overbore (remember we are only talking 3/100's of an inch difference here!) is whether it transfers too much heat - if it doesn't it is fine.

I have a Crane cam from a long time ago in mine with mild porting, milled heads and deck, with forged pistons, and balanced to near perfection. The engine work was done about nine years ago, and it still runs very nice! :) (one advantage of the .060 over bore is it makes your 289 and "298").

John Harvey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Edelbrock tech support today. Stock springs are fine with the 2122 cam/lifter set I'm looking at.

I did adjust the valves, and could not get rid of the ticking no matter how far I cranked that one down. Finally backed it off, ran it down to where it just got tight, gave it a 1/8 turn more and ran it a few days. No change. I pulled the engine last night (tranny was out anyway, it didn't take long)and popped the intake. That lifter looks OK on the bottom (no cupping or any other signs of abnormal wear), but I have no way to do a leak down test or anything.

Thanks for your responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts