Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
usually thru the top...though they can be a pain sometimes; they get stuck in their bores.

there are tools to take them out without removing the manifold; I avoid that...it's too hard to put a fresh lifter in gently with the prelube on it with the intake in place.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Just to add...

If the lifter comes up a bit and then gets tight, suspect a cam/lifter mating surface problem...

The bottom of the lifter is ground with a very large radius (convex) and the cam lobe never sees the edge of the lifter unless something is wrong...the exception might be if the engine is really coked up (burnt-on oil residues) and the lifters have this on the bottom of their OD's...

hmmm...coke and OD...*G*

I usually either remove by hand or with a pair of lock ring pliers

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
"there are tools to take them out without removing the manifold"
How would that be possible?

I just tore my motor down a little while ago and my fortunately my solid lifters came out very easily.
Had to take the manifold off though, lol

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
hehehe...there's always a spoil-sport...

I was kinda hoping he'd try it anyway...

That doesn't mean you can't change lifters with the intake on...it just means the old ones stay in the gallery...

When doing emergency repairs, necessity is the mother of invention, I always say..*G*

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Okay..I'll bite..how does one take out lifters without removing the intake?..theres a punch line to this joke I assume....*LOL*

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lock ring pliers! (don't know why I didn't think of that) Thank you for all of your suggestions, and for being patient with my "newbie" questions.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
No punch line Vinnie....I'm a lousy joke-teller..*G*

They are removed with a mechanics magnet or grabbers (through the pushrod hole) and left to languish in the lifter valley....getting the new ones in there is up to you...*G*...that's where you made your mistake in tripping me up...hehehe

Personally, I like the idea of lifting them all up to pull the cam out and then dropping them into the pan...much more fun...

Do they make inflatable lifters?? hehehe

Seriously though, there are some engines (289's aren't among them) which have space in the heads which opens to the lifter gallery and lifters can be removed and installed without removing the manifold, albeit with some effort.

Hey, you asked!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You're quite welcome and please don't take our good natured banter amongst ourselves as a slam on the validity of your question.

It's hot! *G*

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.....and enjoy your stay!!

BTW, a good mechanics magnet will usually pull them up too...on stubborn ones (coked oil on bottom OD) I've used a combination of lock ring pliers gripping the ID to get it out of the bore slightly and then clamp on with vise grips and work it out...the trick is not to damage the bore, as fit is critical...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts