Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here and im building a 65 289 block with a stroker 347 kit from summit racing. i have a set of factory 289 heads and a set of gt40 off a explorer. iv read about compresion lost on the gt40 heads but better flow i already did some machine work on the 289 heads, larger ss valves. anbody can share their experiences and recomendations

·
Spammer Hammer
12,350 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just be forewarned that this will probably be a low revving torquer with that combo as stock heads will strangle it. Probably very good for a street car with highway gears that doesn't need to run an overdrive transmission. Won't make a ton of top end power though If you figure that the stock 289 heads only flow max of 170 cfm then that would equate to a max of about 340 horsepower. You could make that with a 289 with better heads. A good set of ported 289 heads could get you close to 400 with the 347.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Gas, what size valves do you have installed in your 289 heads ? any work on the ports ? what pistons are in your stoker kit ? what fuel are you going to use ? what compression are you hoping for ? LSG

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have heavily ported 1970 351w heads on my 347 that I built 20 years ago. I’d suggest considering saving a bit of extra money and going aluminum. Even the cheaper aluminum heads will walk all over factory sbf heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.