Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace pretty much the entire top end of my 289 and I have a list coming together but I would like imput of what needs to be put in. I am putting on a Edelbrock Intake and Carb,a Comp Cams Cam with complete kit and am going to have the original heads machined a little bit. But if you guys could put together a list of what you would replace on the engine I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 60,000.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Still need to ask a lot more ?'s. Did you do a compression test on the engine before you tore it down? Are all the cylinders in good shape compression- wise? How do you plan on driving it? Pleasure? Economy? Hard driving? Trips? Budget? What kind of gas do you want to run? I have a few ideas if it were my own car, naturally, but we need to know more about how you plan to use it. Tony

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent torn it apart yet I still have it on the engine stand. I drove the car home when we bought it about 2yrs ago. Have not done a compression test yet. It will be a little bit of everything driving wise but mostly a reliable daily driver is what I am looking for. Id like to keep a low budget under $1500 would be good( I already have the intake,carb and headers). I would just run 87 octane in it.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Since the engine is out, it'll probably be easier to do a leakdown test. Under 5% would be good enough for performance use in a street car IMO.

Personally, given your budget and what you have, I'd consider getting a set of those Floo Tek heads Alex and TSCH are offering up, run a mild camshaft (to go with your likely low compression ratio), bolt on the extras and go have fun. You should be able to get another 30K out of the short block if you maintain it and don't beat it up.

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts