Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True or False, in 1967, Ford used a physically larger GT exhaust tips ("twin tips") if the mustang held a 390 vs if it was powered by a 289.

Every pair I find, original or repro appears to be the same size physically. However, I have had some discussion with a few folks that leads me to think that there may have been a larger pair of tips used with 390 motors.

I have heard of one person recreating the larger 1967 mustang GT exhaust tips. I do not know if Ford actually used such a thing.

Help?

·
Registered
765 Posts
True or False, in 1967, Ford used a physically larger GT exhaust tips ("twin tips") if the mustang held a 390 vs if it was powered by a 289.

Every pair I find, original or repro appears to be the same size physically. However, I have had some discussion with a few folks that leads me to think that there may have been a larger pair of tips used with 390 motors.

I have heard of one person recreating the larger 1967 mustang GT exhaust tips. I do not know if Ford actually used such a thing.

Help?[/QUOTE

Only 289 HIPO and 390 cars along with the GT option called out the quad tips (to my knowledge, same size).

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Both the 289HP and 390GT had the same 2" exhaust, and the same "quad" tips. I know a guy who makes larger 67-69 tips, for over-size pipes.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22GT: Can you tell me who you know that is making these exhaust tips in a larger diameter? Thank you!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone tell me who is the person or shop 22GT refers to that perhaps reproduces these exhaust tips in a larger diameter?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Can anyone tell me who is the person or shop 22GT refers to that perhaps reproduces these exhaust tips in a larger diameter?
PM him and ask :)

/Paul

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Good idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts