Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I junk my 289, is there anything on there worth saving for my GT40P swap? Already took off the SD chrome valve covers. Should I keep the timing cover and the fuel pump eccentric?

Anything worth parting and putting up in the For Sale section?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe if you are keeping the stock pulleys, you will want the timing cover. Fuel pump eccentric must match your timing chain set (early / late).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Was the 289 engine original to the car? If so, was it running when removed? You may only want to remove the bolt on items, but if the block and heads are rebuild-able, you may want to sell, rather than "junk" them. Numbers correct blocks and matching heads will be worth something to the right person.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the 289 engine original to the car? If so, was it running when removed? You may only want to remove the bolt on items, but if the block and heads are rebuild-able, you may want to sell, rather than "junk" them. Numbers correct blocks and matching heads will be worth something to the right person.
It was re manufactured block bored .040 over. Not numbers matching. I've decided to go ahead with finding a 302 out of a 97-2001 explorer. Not sure its worth anything.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You'll probably want to keep the oil pan, the pickup for the oil pump, timing cover, oil dipstick and tube, the water pump if you're confident that it's good, pulleys, and depending on what you're doing with the exhaust, the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Ophthos, none of it should be junked. If it were me, I'd save everything. If you weren't 14 hrs away from me I'd come and get ALL of it. At the very least, do not throw out or sell ANYTHING till you have the new engine installed and running. You never know what little tidbit you may end up needing. Some of the concours resto guys would gladly kill for some of what you are about to trash. Guys like me want the small chambered heads. Guys doing budget strokers can use your 5.155 rods, and the class racers need the 2.87 stroke crank. There is NOTHING wrong with your block, give or sell it to someone who is not afraid of running @ .060. I'd give you $ 50 and come get it if you weren't so far away. You should be able to sell the other stuff too. Are there other Mustang / Falcon /Galaxie / Bronco guys near you ? Ford isn't making this stuff anymore,..........No quiet corners in your garage where it can sit for awhile ? LSG

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe you may want the fitting for the oil filter if swapping out the explorer filter setup. Like posted above, I would keep everything until you are done.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I do have it wrapped up and I will put it away until 1) i figure out exactly what I'm gonna do and 2) I get the (a) engine completely up and running.

I guess I should have phrased the question if i go with the 302 route, is there anything from my old engine I will need for the new one?

Right now I'm taking everything apart, bagging and tagging everything.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
you'll need the timing cover ,can reuse the oil pan ,valve covers ,intake/exhaust manifolds oil filter mount

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
depends on whether you are going to use the newer serpentine stuff.
I'd unbolt every external piece off the 289 just in case.
Personally I would use the serpentine system, but original looks are not important to me at all.
Russ

·
Registered
966 Posts
The "stuff" that you're talking about junking is ~ 50 years old and already getting "rare" in certain areas. Some of the parts you're talking about should easily be peddled on the secondary market.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The block is officially bare! I think I'll call around and see if someone is willing to clean it and check to see if there is enough meat on the bones to bore .060 over. If I decide to go another route, I'll put everything up in the Fore Sale forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Valve covers, oil pan, front cover (if it's not corroded), distributor (unless going Duraspark), accessory brackets & pulleys, motor mounts, oil filter adapter, intake manifold & carburetor, exhaust manifolds, throttle linkage brackets, etc., surely forgetting something else...

I would NOT re-use the oil pump pick-up. It's quite common for coked oil or chunky sludge to build up on the inside and it could break loose and end up in between the gerotors of your pump which ain't good. For the $15 or so for a new one it's cheap insurance. FWIW, I don't use the paper gaskets on those but soft copper instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts