Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 fastback w/ a C4 & 351W and it's pretty much stock, 'cept for a slightly beefier crank. I'm switching out the 2bbl w/ a edelbrock performer and holley street avenger 670. This is my first kind of engine work on the car, as i'm 19 and haven't had the car too long. I think i'll be ok w/ the intake switch...but the carb bothers me b/c they are totally different. What things will i have to get to make the change? i don't even know what to hook up to some of the holes...for instance, it seemingly has two holes for the fuel filter- one in the front and and in back. Also, on my 2bbl, i'm not sure what a cable is doing from the throttle down to the transmission... i do understand most of the steps, i.e. drain coolant, change gaskets. any advice will definitely be well noted!! ::
chaz

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Im going to work off assumption here....but hopefully I can help

DRAIN THE OIL AND COOLANT BEFORE YOU PULL THE INTAKE!!! try to lay clean rags in the lifter valley so crap you scrape off the heads and block doesnt go down into the block. Cleanliness inside an engine IS D__N NEAR Godliness

Dont make the mistake folks I know have done.....Ive NEVER seen a fuel line connection to the baseplate area of a carb....the big fitting on baseplates is almost always a PCV/power brakes connection (vaccum).....hook a fuel line to it, you had better change your oil quick, LOL!!!

If the metal line from the fuel pump has a threaded connection for the carb it'll probably need to be cut off....most holley fuel connections use rubber (or braided if you want to be fancy) line.

There are small vacuum connections on the baseplate that vacuum all the time....on a holley, the small vacuum fitting on the passenger side near the top has vacuum when the throttle is opened...this is where I prefer to connect the vacuum advance from the distributor.

Your 351 is fairly close to what carbs are tuned for out of the box (especially normal holley 600's)....dont assume it'll need rejetting.

While I'm on the subject of tuning.....the timing needs to be correct before the idle speed is adjusted....the idle mixture and speed screws should only be final-adjusted when the motor is fully warmed up and the choke is off.

Once the idle speed and mix is adjusted, the accelerator pump would probably be more likely to need tweaking than the jetting.

If the carb is electric choke (VERY nice to have!!!!), the choke needs a switched 12 volt source, like a stereo should have. NEVER use the coil 12 volt connection.

NEVER use a cheap, small diameter, or dirty air filter.....really, a 14" universal K&N filter is a steal at 50 bucks since it flows so much air and is reuseable.

The carburetor may be "orderable" with the kickdown linkage option.....and the stock kickdown rod to the tranny make fit fine....

The throttle cable connects to the carb with a "throttle ball" that may or may not come with the carb....parts houses have them.

TAKE THE TIME TO ENSURE THE INTAKE GASKETS ARE POSITIONED AND STAY POSITIONED PROPERLY!!!!!!! OTHERWISE, YOULL END UP WITH COOLANT IN THE OIL!!!!!!!!

THERE IS A TORQUE SEQUENCE AND TORQUE VALUE FOR THE INTAKE BOLTS.....FOLLOW THEM!!! Youll snap those spindly bolts in a new york minute!!

Based on my experiences with holleys on 351's, I'd bet she'll be fun!!!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Oh....and always install some kind of fuel filter in between the carb and pump....not a hard job.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Are you absolutely, positively SURE thats a 351WINDSOR and not a 351 CLEVELAND????

Sure would suck to be anxious to get the intake changed and find out the engine isnt what you thought it was....

(incidentally.....if the thermostat housing is in the intake manifold, it's a windsor......if the thermostat housing is on the block, it should be a Cleveland)

The intakes are very different.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
Give thought to the Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb. It's an excellent carb for the street. They usually run great right out of the box. Very smooth carb!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, it is a 351W. Originally it was a 302 2bbl, but the owner before me put in the 351W. The mechanic that rebuilt my engine thought it was possibly a police engine b/c the crank has a longer stroke..but an original Ford part. I didn't know why a cop engine would have a 2bbl tho...anyway, i understood pretty everything you said about the carb (following the my mustang manual i have ;) i do have electric choke...do i need to run a wire from the choke cap to the alternator or solenoid or something? Also, if i have to cut my fuel line for it to fit...where do i install a fuel filter? my biggest problem was i didn't see where to PUT the fuel line on the carb...i'm assuming on the RH side.

Am i right on saying the vacuum ports (like for PB) are on the manifold...so i won't have to install them on the carb? If so, should i plug the ports? many questions are getting answered =)
chaz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts