Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last wk , I was telling you all about the problem with tuning up my 98 f150 4x4. and how it was going to cost me $400.00.
Well ran into a Ford Loving mechanic who is going to do the plug wires and plugs (Me buying them ) for $60.00, and then he thought that was too much !
I also am going to have a 45,000 mile salavge engine installed by him this winter and he only wants $ 600. 00 for that work again saying he thought it was to much, I told him I will give him $ 800.00 as everybody else I have talked to about this job wants up wards of $1500.00.
the Guy is a first rate Ford Mechanic and works for him self , he said he enjoys his work and felt his prices were fair for him and the customer.
so he's my guy.

Gary

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I never have really understood why repairs are so expensive on newer vehicles...I'm sure the complex equipment needed to service these complicated systems, plus the training involved must acount for some of it. I almost never take my car in for service because of the costs involved...I just bought a shop manual and have taught myself.
Sometimes I think they fix repair costs so high because most of the service these shops do is paid by warranty...I know I have gone in for body work or glass replacement and have been able to negoitiate prices down when they find out insurance isn't paying. Either that or they want to encourage people to buy new cars by driving up the price of maintence...
I feel your pain....and make sure you send that mechanic a nice Christmas present...those guys are good friends to keep.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think part of the expense in parts anyway is because when something fails, you can't just replace the bad part, you have to buy the whole freaking assemby! Even now, I haven't seen the starter and alternator rebuild kits like I used to see for our vintage starter/alternators. Why the labor end has gone up is probably due to overhead, land prices, the cost past on by the factory, probably a bunch of stuff.

My humble obs,

Dean T

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the dealers having to make a profit and all , but the guy who is going to fix the truck for me said the book calls for one hr labor rate.
so they are marking up the parts way up !

·
Registered
122 Posts
i know too well the headaches of newer vehicles. have to be able to read codes and have deep pockets to maintain them yourself. is he good with 9 inch gears? i think i need to get mine fixed. it has a humming noise. im in michigan also.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this guy is slow in the winter and that maybe the time to have some heavy work done, thats when he is changing my engine.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts