Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually 2 questions. I have a 2100d carb with an automatic choke. The choke mechanism appears to be frozen. Not the butterfly, but the thermally operated contoller. Where can I find replacement parts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had a similar problem - I originally thought that the choke was gummed up, and it turned out to be a faulty heat riser tube (jury rigged ala the PO). Any chance this is the case? Also, have you taken the housing for the bi-metal spring apart and cleaned everything out real good? I haven't really answered your question about where to find replacement parts, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Any competent parts store should be able to provide the parts you need. Another alternative is to convert to an electric choke.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned up the bimetal strip, etc. but the heat riser is what appears to be seized. The head riser plunger is where it is frozen. This keeps the choke in a single position. IIRC, you should be able to overpower the heat riser and force the choke open/closed. I can't seem to find this sub assembly anywhere.

Is my memory in tact, or should the butterfly be stuck when cold (or warm for that matter)?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I have several of different vintage. Send me a pic of yours and I will match it up with one of my spares. THe piston can be worked out if you soak the assembly in liquid wrench for a while and gently work the push rod with a pair of needlenose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts