Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Marti Report on my 1967 GTA fastback S-code and it says that it has a 3.25 equa-lock axle ratio. I am almost positive that this is posi-traction BUT what does it mean and what are the advantages of having one. Looking for answers.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It is the early style locking axle used by Ford from about 1959 to 1969, parts are hard to come by for it, and the cover was weaker than on a trac loc (they replaced the equa loc in about 69/70), if yours still has it in place behind the 390 I would be surprised. I think the torque tended to eat them up.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Kevin is right.....the equa lok cases were even more prone to fracture than t-loks.....

If your car ever makes funny noises from the rear turning sharply I'd get the chunk checked out.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Luis,

To answer your main question, it puts some power to both wheels instead of spinning the one with less traction. If my car gets one rear tire on ice, it is helpless. A posi type rear end is not so helpless. Most on this forum will tell you they want it to get more traction off the line to get better times at the strip. It will also give you more traction in snow and ice conditions. Since you are from Puerto Rico, unless you will race the car, you don't really need it. I guess they do have mud there though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts