Vintage Mustang Forums banner

3-Point Seatbelt Kit for 1967 Coupe (Roof Pillar Mount)

419 10
Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Specifically, I'm looking for the threaded adaptor to mount a 3-point seat belt to the roof pillar. I have a 1967 Coupe that has the hole but no threads. This is from another forum (if this is your pic thank you) and it looks like some sort of threaded mount was added that clips to the pillar as shown.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tread
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
2,242 Posts
Any good hardware store with a nuts and bolts section will have them. Some people would suggest the more substantial plate like @Quicksilver66 suggested. Many of the three point kits include that mounting plate.

Tread Automotive tire Gas Tire Wood
Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
616 Posts
It looks like a clip nut, but I am guessing that the back side of that, which we can't see is more substantial than a standard body clip nut. In any restraint mount, surface area is your friend to prevent it from tearing thru the thin sheet metal in an accident.
If you can't find the correct part, I think I would take a piece of .100-.125" flat steel as wide as the opening and as long the flat part of that area, drill a pilot hole to align with the sheet metal hole, and either weld a nut to the back side or take a piece of round stock and weld and tap it, and then tack weld or plug weld the plate in place and call it good. If you do make a plate for it, I would bevel the edge that lays against the sheet metal, so the sharp edge doesn't act as a shear blade against the sheet metal in the event it is needed. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37,504 Posts
I have searched for years for a source for these nuts and have come up empty. About all you can do is fabricate something similar.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I wonder if you could start with one of the anchors that usually hold the seat belts to the floor and modify it to slide in there?

You might have to glue it in place or something to hold it without the clips but it would have to be stronger than just the fender nuts.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I would just find the correct size anchor plate for whatever hardware you are using...slide it in, drill some holes from the front and plug weld it in. A lot more secure than clips...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts