Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got through putting in late model seats from a 91 GT convertible in my 68 Fastback. I now want to add 3 pt. harnesses. I've located the holes in the inside roof area above the driver and passenger doors, but I cannot tell if they are threaded or not. Headliner is in place, and it is a nice installation so I hesitate to poke holes if they are not threaded.

Seats have a guide at the top to hold the harness in place. I was thinking of just using these as my third attach point. What do you think? I've installed the Pony Cars harnesses before, but the fastback trim will not allow such an installation without major mods. I've also given thought to using the crush nuts like we use in the frame when converting to PS, but I'm not sure that they would be strong enough. In fact I doubt they would hold up in an impact. Thoughts or suggestions? BTW, the date code on the door tag indicates a January 68 build date.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I don't know about whether those points are threaded. If they aren't my thought (for my 65) was to take a hex nut of the correct size, grade 8, and weld it u along the roof somehow, where it would be on a 69/70, then use the 70 seatbelt harness and upper bolt to install in my 65. Perhaps you can take off the windlace above the coor and carefully work the headliner away from the door openening edge and feel behind up to that point as feel threads (or not). I bet you could just loosen the headliner along the edges and get up in there and do what you need to to make it work. When you reglue the headliner, use contact cement and NOT headliner glue. The headliner glue is so "hot" that it starts melting the headliner material and it stretches and can dissolve (it did on my 70). The contact cement I used did not melt the headliner.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The hole should be threaded. In my 68, there is a shoulder belt. Its a separate belt that just hangs along the top of the widow on both sides. Its kind of an option if you want to use it I guess? So the hole should work for you.

Get a second opinion before you go poking holes in your headliner.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I, too, am going to put 3-point belts in my '68 coupe. I located the hole behind the headliner, just where it's supposed to be. I read an article about installing the belts, and it states that a standard 3/8" x 1", coarse thread bolt works perfectly. I hope so, cause that's what I am going to try. Good luck.

Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
A 67 FB wouldn't happen to have that nut in there would it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
All I know, for sure, is my '68. What I read says that Ford didn't start putting the mounting point in till the '68 model year. I suppose they could've started in some of the late '67's, you know how that goes. In my coupe it was easy to find, through the headliner. It is located about an inch behind the coat hanging hook, and you can feel the 3/8" hole with your finger with light pressure on the liner.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts