Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1966, were export braces and/or monte carlo bars available from your local Ford Dealership?

If yes, did the dealership grind off the factory shock tower brace support when installing them?

Is it possible to install an monte carlo bar on a car with thermactor? I ask because the air hose travels OVER the distributor cap, and it seems that would interfere with the MC bar. [Please, no advice to remove the thermactor. I want it.]

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Cars that went to Europe were "beefed up" in the suspension department... Even an exported 6 cyl. coupe got an export brace and a 15/16 front sway bar. Those cars didn't get the welded-on bracket on the shock tower.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
Those items were available at any Ford dealership as part of Shelby's and Ford's parts programs.

Export braces installed at the dealer could have either had the shock tower brackets removed or left depending on whether the dealer wanted to do a proper job or not. By the same token the dealer may or may not have added the cowl reinforcement bracket for the export brace too even though to do the job properly they should have welded in the bracket.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not sure about the factory or not but I kept my original braces and put the export brace over them. This has work out very nicely for hiding wires and mounting the reserve reservoir for the hydraulic clutch. Many people seem to remove the original, as they seem redundant. Not sure if there is a single right answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts