Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was built on June 24, 1965. Does anyone know when they started putting 3 speed fans in these cars? I just want to make sure I have the right one in my car.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Motor is different. The 2 speed is actually a 2 speed motor (3 wires). The 3 speed set up is actually a single speed motor with a three speed switch and a resistor bank in the heater housing to control the speed (2 wires out of the motor).

'66's came with the three speed. I thought all '65's were 2 speed, although some have said late '65's came with three speed. Running change may have varied from plant to plant also.

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
Motor is different. The 2 speed is actually a 2 speed motor (3 wires). The 3 speed set up is actually a single speed motor with a three speed switch and a resistor bank in the heater housing to control the speed (2 wires out of the motor).

'66's came with the three speed. I thought all '65's were 2 speed, although some have said late '65's came with three speed. Running change may have varied from plant to plant also.
Exactly right. The 3-speed was a running change sometime in the late winter/early spring of 1965. Prob'ly done to save money on cheaper motors.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My San Jose car was built April 9th, 1965, and has the three-speed blower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts