Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always read that the 3 speed manual transmission that came in Mustangs in 1965-66-67 and other years is not the best and in some cases it detracts from the value of a Mustang. Is this transmission that bad?
Refering specifically to a 1967 model with a 289 engine and 3 speed manual.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
67 3 speeds have the larger input bearing and are basically bullet proof. The earlier ones were not as strong. As far as value, 4 speeds will always be worth more just because of the mystique. In the end, the final gear in each box is 1:1 ratio. The beauty is that you already have the important and hard to find stuff to help you with your T5 conversion. :burnout:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,020 Posts
For almost 20 years I had the original 3 speed in my 67 GT. Couldn't hurt it. And I tried.... :p
Then I switched to the 4 gear.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
They are pretty much bullet proof. I used one until I went to a T10 and then a T5 when I put in a deep geared rear end. Still have the 3 spd. as a backup along with the correct drive shaft so I'll all goe back in if the T5 ever needs a rebuild. It is fully synchro'd and I worked it pretty hard for the five years or so I had it in after I did the V8 conversion. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with them. In fact, I think they're kinda cool.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,020 Posts
+1 on the cool idea - in an odd sort of way. I view them kinda like a manual 3 on a tree, but on the floor instead.
It's just that NO ONE makes a manual like that anymore. Neat.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
My 68 302 has a manual 3 speed (original.) It's a blast to drive. It has a 3.25 rear, so it will get up and go pretty well. Not so good at highway speeds, but you would end up with the same thing in a 4 speed. If you are considering a change, don't stop at the 4 speed, go to the T5.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts