Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how did you guys setup your 3 speed manual in your car to work with the linkage. am trying to get it to work with the linkage and i am just having trouble getting it adjusted in the right spot and going into the gears correctly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can you guys give me some tips and tricks on how to get the best shifting out of my tanny because they just seem to be binding up. also pictures of how it hooks up to linkage and selector on transmition location pictures will be nice as well. Thanks. or just a discription of were each gear is located with those tabs coming out of the transmittion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Trans pics

Heres a couple of before and after pics (yes i know the shifter is backwards)

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this is the picture i got of it outside of the car ( i need to update my pictures)
but i will try that position that you have it with the shifter tabs. the main problem is that the ehh which one is it the tab closest to the back of the car i believe it is the intermediate and high gear it gets pulled al the way down so the shifter strokes to far and when it gets pulled all of the way down it will not come out of it. because it binds up. o here is the picture

and here was it before. ha

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys really need help now. i drove my car on sunday i only had 3rd gear. the reason why was that when i put it in 1st and the car moved the selectored poped in and out of gear i am thinking that it is in 2 gears at once. and i noticed when i tried to set it to the location that is in that picture i noticed that that leaf shifter on the transmition in the front doesnt go to point up. it can only go pointing 45 degrees off north and in my greasy transmition picture it can go that far. so what you guys think i had a bunch of friends rebuild it so you think they messed something up or it just something i am not doing. thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this tranny trouble shooting writen down anywere and digital on the internet. i will have to call some people to check it out if i cant fix it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i just pulled mine and am trying to sell it, you want me to take any pictures of it while i still have it in one piece and out of the car?

not the best photo, but its still on the bench if you need a more detailed shot of anything (this is how it came out of the running car)

·
Registered
650 Posts
is this tranny trouble shooting writen down anywere and digital on the internet. i will have to call some people to check it out if i cant fix it.
I think the 65 Ford shop manual (the real live paper one) has the adjustment procedure and pictures to help out. I know it has excellent info on the 4spd set-up.

Joe

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I would look closely at the photos posted as far as having the tabs on properly.once that is done,you put the trans in neutral ,loosen the two rods and insert a dowel(an allen key works fine) into the lower shifter hole, this lines everything up,then you snug up the two bolts and you should be set.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey GSEnjina can you post some more pictures. because i see that that is ur nutral and that is what mine looks like when it is "in nutral". can you take a picture of it in each gear were the tabs are. but as of now i think that tranny is hosed i have to take it down and pop it open because as of now it will go into 3rd, but i can put it into 1st but it just pops out imediately. and i have the original shop manual but it doesnt talk about it alot and were the levers are sposed to be in order to be in nutral

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the main thing now is that the front pedal (I-H) will only go up to about were Eninja but as you can see on the greassy picture of my tranny it was able to go all the way up before rebuild so i will probubly have to take it down but i will still try some other things and see Eninjas pictures if you guys come up with something. thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have no problem taking the pictures, which tabs are you asking about though? are they 'under the cover' or where the external linkage is connected

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea were the shifter linkage is connected to the transmitions i call them pedals because i guess they can be called shifter levers but whatever. thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hope thats what you need, and good luck!

Im out for the night, ill check back in the AM in case you do need anything else

- Daniel

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn i can tell something is wrong with my tranny because on mine i only get third and third is in the position that on GS is second. and when i put mine in reverse the tab faces the back of the car perminently binding the shifter from inside the car unless u go under and push it up with your finger. yesterday i tried them in every position posible i can get it to first for a second then it pops out. so thank you guys for your help i will have to use those pictures as refrence. but i will be pulling trans for me and my friend to fix.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys i had the transmition looked at by a perfesional he went through it and found out why it wasn't shifting correctly. I was mising the lockout and the deterents. so he put those in and now it doesnt shift into 2 gears at once and you can feel it when it goes into gear. but now the problem when it is in car is that it still pops out of first gear im am pretty sure it is something i did wrong when i put it back in. what is it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this post. I've been looking for the correct linkage setup pics and it was nice to see this as one. I have a 1968 mustang that is a work in progess, and I replaced the clutch about a year ago, and I hooked everything back up but it wasn't shifting rigth. Glad to see what is what and now I know what I did wrong. I had one up and one down. Thanks again!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea no problem mine works perfect now and it holds it own agianst that tweeked engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts