Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just started driving my car after many years in storage. I drove it all around on Sunday, no major problems except clutch chatter.

Big problem - I took it for one last drive.
As I was pulling into my driveway I was shifting from 2nd to 1st. I could not get the car into first, it appeared to be in neutral. I released the clutch and it skidded so I immediately pressed the clutch pedal. I shut off the car and it is now stuck in reverse. The only way that I could move it off the street was to have my wife push it while I depress the clutch pedal.

I can not get it out of reverse. The stick shift can move but only in the neutral area. So it acts like it is neutral but is physically in reverse.

I took a quick look at the linkage and it is all attached.

Is this maybe just the linkage tab seized and gently tapping them with a hammer could free them up?

If it does free up will it shift freely again?

Is there a common cause for this type of problem?

I don't want to hurt it by banging on it but really don't want to pull the tranny out if it is un-needed.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
First, I'd block the wheels securely so it doesn't roll on you, crawl under the car and disconnect the linkage from the tranny. Attempt to manually move the shifting levers to get it in neutral. It may help to rock the car as much as the wheel blocks allow to get the shifters to release. It may need a little help here, SFH (read: small), but wouldn't get too western with it. If you can get the tranny out of reverse and into neutral, use a proper sized pin or bolt in the locating holes in the shifter and adjust the linkage to fit. If the holes in the linkage are wallowed out (fit loose), shim them up, or put in some thin washers to make them fit more snugly. Hope for the best! Good Luck....

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 3 speed stuck in first gear about 5 miles from the girl's house I bought it from. I'm pretty sure the problem was with the shift linkage even though I haven't had the problem many times since.
On the few occasions that it has happened, I found I could get it to shift by slapping the stick to one side while shifting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Finally got it out of gear. It turns out that it was stuck in 2nd gear. I lightly hammered on the shift tabs while my wife tried to shift gears. It took moving the tab about an inch but just popped into neutral. It seems fine now and the linkage is tight. It may just need some adjustment.

Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts