Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the 3-speed trans painted in a 66 coupe? (6 cyl.). Im rebuilding one for my car. I assume the bell housing is suppose to be painted blue? Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
No paint on my 66 three speed. Bell housing is unpainted aluminum. Thinking of polishing it before reinstall next week.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My 4 spd was just in bare metal in my 66 so probably not painted at the factory. A lot of rebuild shops will paint the cases after they finish.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks for the information! No paint on bellhousing or transmission. I'll just clean them up with some aluminium wheel cleaning acid and maybe clear coat them.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Complete degreasing of the bellhousing and a little gentle scrubbing of the bell with Barkeepers Friend will do. The wire wheel treatment will burnish the bell.

Reactions: Fitch

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
No sense clear coating them as the clear coat will just yellow, crack and fall off due to the heat and look even worse.....Just polish best as possible and install. Tony K.

Reactions: Fitch

·
Registered
262 Posts
What is wheel cleaning acid? Where do you find that and what finish does that give?

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
If you are not going concours, I always paint mine with cast iron block paint or NAPA Cast Iron paint (which comes out really nice) so they don't rust. In fact I use it on virtually all my cast iron parts. Aluminum bellhousings gets cleaned well but no coating, if its in the engine compartment, Aluminum gets bead blasted. I even disassembled my alternator to bead blast the cases.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
What is wheel cleaning acid? Where do you find that and what finish does that give?
Places like WalMart, Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc., have wheel cleaning acid... it's a mild solution of hydrochloric (muriatic) acid and water.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a super strong cleaner containing hydrochloric acid for aluminum wheesl that is available to professional detailers only, usually in 55 gallon drums. I have a friend that owns a car wash and allows me to use it. You have to wear a mask because of the fumes but nothing cleans aluminum like it. It usually leaves the aluminum with a bleached look to it until you apply some type of polish or treatment. It depends on how long you leave it on before rinsing. Usually, less than a minute does the trick. You can buy a mid version of aluminum wheel cleaner at any auto parts store. Ive never had any luck with it though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts