Tell us more about the 2hp/cu in 289.
The project derailed in '84 when my father died and I started my business shortly thereafter, which took most of my capital...
I was working in concert with a chassis builder who had his 289 in the mid 10's in a very light '65 coupe...and one of my old racing buddies (the one who gave me the Cobra manifold) who had be racing Fords since the flathead days.
Let's just say we built stud girdles and main cap girdles and made oiling system and head changes long before they were popular with Ford enthusiasts...The 351W heads I often mention here, which I ran on the race car
, were an integral part of the program and there were some failed experiments with changing valvetrain geometry (ala TFS) and exhaust port shape and geometry..
Some of the carb spacer work I talk about here (I'm not telling all *G*) was an outgrowth of those years. Even my cobbled-together-appearing 3310 has much more to it than meets the eye, long before one could order such stuff from Holley or BG (Demon).
As with many things in life, I enjoy these challenges and am not interested in profiting from them. That's why I share as much as I do on the VMF. I do want to keep a few things to myself though, in case the budget allows me to start racing again..*G*
When I try to help VMF'ers struggling with the same things I struggled with 20+ years ago, I often am amazed that I did as much as I did at such a young age. Must have been the energy of youth...*G*
Oh, I never did experiment with N2O or supercharging, although some of my colleages did...my designs were very simple, with modest camshafts, lots of compression and balanced drivetrain-chassis combinations, a philosophy which I try to espouse here, with varied success.
I never reached the magic number (in this case 600hp) but I did have a number of memorable years walking the path...