Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 67 coupe and the seller told me the 302 in it was out of an 85 Capri. He told me there was only a handful of these engines produced, and that it had 351 valves and cam. Just wandering if anyone has any information regarding this.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
the 5.0 was available in the Capri..I don't remember what years..sounds like he might have put on a set of 351W heads..unless he did lots of machine work..the valves would be to big for a 302

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
if your motor is a true 85 it was the first year of the roller cam in the 5.0. While the 85 5.0 capris are rare the 85 5.0 mustangs (not so rare) had the same engine. not sure of your valve question. hope this helps

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,824 Posts
The Capris themselves are somewhat rare because they were never as popular as the Mustangs. From 79 up into the 80's the Capri was a mechanical twin to the Mustang in those years. Capris had a different hatch, front bumper, hood , and fenders. For most purposes they ARE Mustangs. This makes the engine identical to a an 85 Mustang 5.0
Likely the heads were swapped for the older 351W heads, a popular performance mod. Likewise some kind of aftermarket cam was put in. Probably good improvements, but Capris didn't come from the factory with "special" mods like you mention. Neither did the 85 Mustang GT's. At least not that I'm aware of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts