Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a new Mustang project, and the car has what I was told was a 302 motor in it. I don't know any of the details about the motor, so I'd love to start tracking down all the information about the engine as possible. I'm uncertain where to find the block casting number to indicate the year it was made, or any other details. Can I get a little help?

·
Registered
957 Posts
The block will have a casting number on the right side (it's hidden behind the starter). Since (I believe) the 289s and 302s use the same basic block, that may not give you a positive answer. There should be a build date stamped onto a machined spot on the block just ahead of the left head which will give you some more info (again not a positive). The 302 heads used to have a cast "302" on the top of the heads. With all the engine rebuilds/swaps it'll be really difficult to tell for sure.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Look up under your starter, There will be a date code, You might have to pull to read it. Should be C80E- 6015-A or B for a 302

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
uh huh... well, pull the starter motor to write down the casting numbers you see above it on the block, front drivers side of the block right in front of the cyl head on the little ledge should be a stamped code, pull a valve cover, actually both, and see what kind of stamping numbers are there. you can then use google to get to cross-reference charts..or take good photos and come repost...there may be a small tag on the carb, on the side of the distributor will be some stamping numbers, a stamping number on the intake, and on the back of the block at the edge of the intake manifold, you may see a partial vin number stamped in the ledge...might be yours :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still having a hard time finding any numbers. Am I looking for the numbers on a horizontal surface, or rear of the engine on a vertical surface. Here's what I'm seeing at the rear of the engine from the top view:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
979 Posts
From the bottom up. You have to look on the passenger side, bottom of the car. Look up past the starter and you should see some casting codes.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
979 Posts
The intake shows C8DE so its a 68 Intake, more then likely. If the block matches I would say 68 302 but have to get the casting codes of the block.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
979 Posts
February 25, 1970 351W.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
979 Posts
It was created for that Fairlane/Torino line but can be used in any Ford Vehicle that had a 351W including the Mustang. Verified since I do see 8 intake bolts on one side, so you have 16 intake bolts vs the 302/289 with 12. That would be a nice surprise for me. :) More cubes.

Date code is 0B25 - so 1970 February 25th.

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
@Huskinhano you had this in the thread about resistor wires

Huskinhano
Registered

Joined Mar 6, 2001
20,633 Posts
#11 a moment ago
Looks like a 289 block. Just behind the intake manifold, on the block between the two upper bellhousing bolts is a depression in the block. If it goes between the two bolts, it's a 288. If the driver's side is filled in half way with the depression on the other half, it's a 302 block. Functionality there isn't really anything different between a 289 and 302

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Very interesting. So - does that mean the engine came in a 1969 model car?

My plan for my Mustang doesn't involve using this engine or the manual 3 speed. Any insight into what the engine/trans combo is worth? Is it considered desirable?

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
a used running, nothing special,289/302 is about 500 bucks 4 speed toploader maybe 700-900

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
So - it' not a 302, it's a 351W?

The "C9" indicate 1969?

Does the "O" in the C9OE mean it's from a 1969 Fairlane or Torino?
Yes, C9OE-B is a 351W.

The "O" in C9OE only means that the Intermediate Group (Fairlane/Torino) was responsible for that particular block casting mold... the block would be used across the Ford/Mercury line as needed.

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
Very interesting. So - does that mean the engine came in a 1969 model car?

My plan for my Mustang doesn't involve using this engine or the manual 4 speed. Any insight into what the engine/trans combo is worth? Is it considered desirable?
No, it means that the block was DESIGNED, initially, for the '69 model year. Yours was actually cast in February of 1970. A partial VIN on the top rear of the block will tell you at which assembly plant to potentially narrow it down a bit to what it was originally installed in.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Classic, so, you have a 351W, and a toploader ? And you're NOT going to use them ??! The 351W is well though of, and the toploaders are great. What are you thinking of instead ? LSG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts