Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just picked up a 95 302 roller block. It has been bored .30 over, has flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer heads, E303 cam. The rotating assembly was balanced. It has roller tip rockers. i need to buy an intake, distributor, carb and everything else. this is going to get my butt moving on my long languished 67 project.

A few question for the experts here:
I know someone who has an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake i can have which is in good shape. Will this be a good intake for the cam and heads? What would you recommend if something else?
My 67 is a C4 trans. I would love to do a manual swap but that might be cost prohibitive. I will likely do an AOD. What stall converter if anything should i be targeting given the engine build?
I need to do a dampner. Recommendations?

Thanks for your thoughts. I am excited to get moving on this thing again. I have wasted a lot of time letting the car sit and not enjoying it so when this deal popped up, i thought lets get moving!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless your trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the motor. That intake will be fine. And you cant beat the price. Here's a test that compare it to a RPM Air Gap. And there's only a 20 HP difference.

·
Registered
840 Posts
you have a lot of money to spend. I personally would put the free intake on and take the fastest path to running, then decide if I want to upgrade things later. You most likely will be happy just having it running and it will feel like a lot of power compared to fond distant memories. On the other hand, if you are not financially constricted, buy the RPM and do things like the 3G alternator while you're buying. Beware the bottomless pit of "while you're at it" and "more power"

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all, good discussion and help. i can already hear wallet sucking sounds! what are your thoughts on the converter and dampner? just money, right? lol.

@BlakeTX i haven't thought about the belt and pulleys yet...what do you recommend? would like to keep options open for down the road Vintage Air. the car is a convertible but it can get hot in July and August.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i also recommend using the performer for now with a 600cfm carb. as for the converter, i would go with something like a 2000--2300 stall converter with the series cam. if you go with the AOD then pop for a set of 3.73-3.89 gears. that will make the car very snappy off the line. as to the front dress, you already have the serpentine belt i assume, so go with tht. if you have no front dress then go with the older stock V belt system. chances are you need a front cover so if you have your old engine as well, use that one with the accessory drive. and of course a front sump oil pan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if its a '95 you'll need 50oz inbalance damper and flexplate - if you run v belts there is an aftermarket damper with a bolt in weight - if going with a serpentine setup, you'll need the reverse rotation water pump and front cover and will likely need to drill it for the dipstick as the block mounted one wont work with a front sump pan - do you have or plan to have power steering? a stock serpentine setup would give you the ps pump and modern ac compressor - easiest to get it going would be a matching early set up (cover, waterpump, pullys, alt brackets) and the aforementioned aftermarket damper......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts