Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 302 crank (68-83) swap into a stock 289 block and yield a 302?? Also, do the 289 and 302 use the same pistons because they share the same bore?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Actually, to expand on Whisperer's comment, if you put a 302 crank with 289 rods and Boss 302 pistons you'd have a long rod 302 like the Boss was(boss used hipo 289 rods). Unfortunately, the Boss made a lot of compression because the pistons were domed.

I have looked at using a 302 crank, 289 rods and hipo 289 pistons. The pistons have to be shaved a little bit but we didn't set it up and gauge it to find out how much. I wanted to keep a .010 deck. Since there is already quite a bit of deck on a stock 302 then a small shave of possibley .020 on the piston might be all that would be needed. I was "told" that the hipo 289 TRW pistons would do this with no trouble since they are forged. Shaving the pistons was not a lot of cost. The compression ratio would be a bit less than 11:1. If you decide to do this it would be a great info post for the forum. I may eventually build a long rod 302 like this for my own car or I may just get a 331 kit.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
302 blocks have longer skirts to accomodate the increase in stroke. I have heard that you will get excessive piston noise if you do the 302 crank in a 289 block. This is the only difference between the blocks, at the bottom of the bore.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is an interesting topic due to the amount of resonably (I guess "reasonable" is a relative term) priced 302 steel and stroker cranks and I&H beam 302 rods. On my last rebuild on the 289 I really wanted aftermarket I beam rods but could only find, in the 289 length, the much more expensive H beam for around $500 a set... which kinda blew my budget. I settled for rehashing the stock rods.

As much as I want to keep a 289,it looks like going with the 302 block (plus get a roller cam ) and components will be cheaper in the long run...even with a new flywheel and balancer. Someone did mention that you can grind off something on the end of the 302 crank and keep the 28oz balance...hmmm....starting to see A4 blocks at the swap meet...

Jeff

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Boss 302 pistons had a different dome configuration... I don't think they'd work in a "W" type block.

The difference in the rod length is 1/16", hardly worth the added expense. (5.155-5.090")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts