Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 1987 Ford 302 truck (block) engine into my 1967 Mustang coupe. It's bored .30 over, roller 1.6 rockers, B303 cam, etc. I'm using the 1987 H.O 302 firing order. The problem is that I cant get the engine to run completely correct. I just replaced the spark plugs, but i'm only firing on 4 cylinders. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how to fix it because i'm lost. Basically the #4,5,6,8 cylinders aren't firing while the others are and again..... i'm lost. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't tell you exact brand. Just know its a stock distributor from auto zone for a 1987 Ford 302 Truck. and yep, that's the firing order i'm using.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I can’t tell by your text, are you getting spark to the plugs for those cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can’t tell by your text, are you getting spark to the plugs for those cylinders?

I am not. I will pull the spark plug wire off and the engine doesn't skip a beat for four of the cylinders. And like i said i just replaced all eight spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Bad wires?
Bad rotors?

Have you triple checked to make sure your not getting spark on the actual wire.
Not the plug.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Bad wires?
Bad rotors?

Have you triple checked to make sure your not getting spark on the actual wire.
Not the plug.

·
Registered
25 Posts
have you tried the original ford 302 firing order: 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8

may want to try a new distributor

·
Registered
20,070 Posts
4568? #4would be the last cylinder on the RH side by the firewall. 5&6 would be the first two on the driver's side and #8 being next to the firewall. The RH side is numbered 1234 and driver's side 5678. Is that what you are going by?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Is the distributor cap clipped down all the way? Maybe it's just up on the one side.

What kind of control box is the distributor plugged into?

Pics of the outside and inside of the distributor might help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts