Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So reading cloudbuster's post... sparked up a question. I've read a lil' about the 302 heads put on the 289 in late '68. Is there anyway to tell if an engine has those heads without taking off the valve cover? My girlfriend is selling her '68 mustang. I don't know if the engine is original, but I'm dying to know if she had the 302 heads. Another question... did those heads come with roller-rockers?

·
Registered
758 Posts
There might be some subtle signs of 302 vs 289 from outside the valve cover, but I don't know 'em. :)

However, I don't believe any stock Ford engine of that era had roller rockers. I'm not even too sure that most modern engines do - the cost differential between a stamped rocker and a multipiece one is enormous at a production level.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You MAY be able to put a mirror below the head and see the casting numbers, but I highly doubt it. Other than that, there are no visible differences on the outside of a 289 vs. a 302 head.

Keep in mind that the only decent 302 heads were the '68 4v heads. They were ONLY on the J code cars. These heads are pretty rare, as this was the only year that the 302 heads had the smaller combustion chamber, and they were only on a relatively small amount of cars. Just because the head is a '68 302 head, does NOT make it the "desired" 302 4v heads.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
302's were used in the latter part of 1968. "F" code (2V) and "J" code (4V, 68 only).

There is a way to tell if the heads are 289 by the exposed threads on the front intake bolts between the intake manifold and head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts