Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some pulley alignment help. I have a 302 HO engine with a passenger-side-exit water pump. I've been through two 50 oz. harmonic balancers and 3 sets of pulleys, but can't get the pulleys to line up. The closest I can get is the water pump pulley out 1/8th of an inch further than the crank pulley. I got the shortest aluminum water pump I could find (GMB 125-1420P ). I don't believe there is a good way to shim the crank pulley out. I know I'm far from the first to put a newer 302 HO engine in a vintage Mustang. Can anyone share the combo of balancer, water pump, pulleys used to make this work? Thank you...

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I'm using a Professional Products balancer 88046 , with a 65 style timing cover and pump and matching pulleys on aGT40P
Actually double grooved top bottom and alt.

·
Registered
998 Posts
How about flat washers between the harmonic balancer and pulley face? Used to do this back in the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
What pulleys are you using? Is this a 3 or 4 bolt balancer ? CVF racing has conversion pulleys when using a four bolt balancer with passenger side water pump. Either your pulleys are wrong or your balancer has the wrong offset. Some conversion balancers require a spacer like this to work

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using a Professional Products balancer 88046 , with a 65 style timing cover and pump and matching pulleys on aGT40P
Actually double grooved top bottom and alt.

Thank you. I have the Professional Products 80007 balancer. I will look yours up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about flat washers between the harmonic balancer and pulley face? Used to do this back in the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thought about that but worried that it won't center in the balancer. I have a steel pulley with a lip that goes into the balancer, and an aluminum one that uses a nylon spacer to align.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What pulleys are you using? Is this a 3 or 4 bolt balancer ? CVF racing has conversion pulleys when using a four bolt balancer with passenger side water pump. Either your pulleys are wrong or your balancer has the wrong offset. Some conversion balancers require a spacer like this to work
Thank you. I actually have both balancers. I tried a 4 bolt with aluminum pulleys (came with the engine) but those didn't align. I now have a Professional Products 80007 that has both bolt patterns. Pulleys I have tried so far: Aluminum (brand unknown), Trans-Dapt 8300 & 8303, and factory 289 pulleys.

That spacer you posted might be exactly what I need. Even if it spaces it a bit too far, it's easy to add water pump pulley spacers.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Thank you. I have the Professional Products 80007 balancer. I will look yours up.
mine is just the lightweight version of yours . the key is the pulleys ,water pump and timing cover all have to match the same application

·
Registered
21,000 Posts
You're mixing up 3 and 4 bolt pulleys and brackets. As much as they look the same and should work, they won't. You have to pick one style and stick with it. I used a Professional Products 50 oz balancer on my GT40P. It's drilled for both 3 and 4 bolt pulleys, had 3 sets of timing marks to match anything. The spacers for the crank pulley are for the 4 bolt pulley.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're mixing up 3 and 4 bolt pulleys and brackets. As much as they look the same and should work, they won't. You have to pick one style and stick with it. I used a Professional Products 50 oz balancer on my GT40P. It's drilled for both 3 and 4 bolt pulleys, had 3 sets of timing marks to match anything. The spacers for the crank pulley are for the 4 bolt pulley.
Your balancer sounds a lot like the one I have, the 80007. 50 oz., both bolt patters and 3 markings. The set up I have on it in the pics are that balancer with the '3 bolt' pulley kit.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Your balancer sounds a lot like the one I have, the 80007. 50 oz., both bolt patters and 3 markings. The set up I have on it in the pics are that balancer with the '3 bolt' pulley kit.
What year is you waterpump for ?

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
The instruction sheet for the Professional Products 80007 says that for use with a 3-bolt pulley that no spacer is required. If you a certain that your crankshaft pulley is correct for an early SBF then the problem MUST lie with the water pump or water pump pulley. How is your alternator alignment?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts